• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LOTRO high requirements

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

macstranded

I just built a new PC with a GA-X38-DQ6, a E8400 (3.0GHZ) processor, a EAH3870X2 GPU, and 4GB DDR2 RAM running 64-bit Vista. But when I try to play LOTRO with the graphics all the way up I get lots of jerkiness. Even with the hardware auto-detect settings there is a little bit of lag. Shouldn't I get more performance out of this setup?

#1 whats your res?
#2 do you have the latest video drivers
#3 might not be your fault but the drivers might not be SLI ready for the game

Xfire you mean dman :) either way, if it cant play it on a single card, there is still a problem, likely a drive problem.

#1 whats your res?
#2 do you have the latest video drivers
#3 might not be your fault but the drivers might not be SLI ready for the game

1. 1280 x 1024
2. Yes
3. I don't have two individual cards, just one dual so I shouldn't need SLI or XFire.

How can I find out if my pc is using both sides of the card?

I tried a driver that is supposed to help but I didn't notice much difference. Right now I am running it in DX10; is it possible that it will run better in DX9?

It used to run perfectly fine for me on my Athlon 64 X2 4200+ with 1 GB of RAM and a 7800 GTX on Windows XP. But I haven't played in like 8 months so I am not sure what it is like now.

If this is online, how fast and stable is your internet connection? I don't do lotro, but my other fps online games will sometimes 'jump' due to my or the server's connection. Just a thought.

The game runs perfectly smooth in smaller areas like caves so I'm pretty sure it's not the connection.

Xfire you mean dman :) either way, if it cant play it on a single card, there is still a problem, likely a drive problem.

Oops yes Xfire.

While it is one card, it doesn't mean that there wouldn't be issues with the drivers of the card. I know you can suppositly disable Xfire if not mistaken on the card. Try it once and see if it runs better. Its under the Cat Control Centers options under Xfire tab. There is a check box that you can select.

Try that once and see what happens. While it might not be ideal, right now it might be the only option for certain games til proper drivers come out for the card.

Could this be my problem or do CPUs usually not use all multipliers for games?

f6f0161889652bb8c8425e62a23183a85g.jpg

Oops yes Xfire.

While it is one card, it doesn't mean that there wouldn't be issues with the drivers of the card. I know you can suppositly disable Xfire if not mistaken on the card. Try it once and see if it runs better. Its under the Cat Control Centers options under Xfire tab. There is a check box that you can select.

Try that once and see what happens. While it might not be ideal, right now it might be the only option for certain games til proper drivers come out for the card.

I don't see an Xfire tab anywhere in the CCC. :shrug:

Yeah, IDK. I even did a stress test using Prime95 and it still won't go any faster than 2.6GHZ. :cry:

That looks the Intel power saving kicking in. There should be an option in your BIOS to disable that, though it's called something different on every mobo. It just changes your multiplier to compensate for system load. It's to save power and put out less heat. It's either that or your multiplier is set to 8 instead of 9 in the BIOS. Check your multiplier with CPU-Z at 0 load. If your multiplier changes to something else, then it's most definitely the Intel power saving kicking in on you. I (and pretty much everyone else) disables that option as it can make the system unstable when Overclocking. But, if you're not overclocking and you're concerned about saving power, leaving it on may be the thing to do.

Oh.... and that voltage looks pretty low. What's the default voltage for the 8400? There's also a feature in BIOS that allows the system to alter Vcore to compensate for load as well. It's also a power saving feature.

Refer to this thread (particularly the last few posts) for some ideas on improving LOTRO performance:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=547652

Send a PM to tRdoc if you can't figure it out. He seems to have fixed his problems by following a guide on the LOTRO forums.

Well, I found out that the multiplier for my CPU was set to 8x in the BIOS so I set it to 9x. I'll test the game again and if there are still issues with performance I will check out the link(I will probably look at it later anyway.)
Thanks.

Well, I found out that the multiplier for my CPU was set to 8x in the BIOS so I set it to 9x. I'll test the game again and if there are still issues with performance I will check out the link(I will probably look at it later anyway.)
Thanks.
I can guarantee you that it's not the multi causing your problems. Even underclocked, your CPU should be PLENTY capable in that game.

Back