• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got a crashing problem I just can't seem to figure out.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neural Net

Hey guys,

Basically I've got the system in my sig and it's great apart from one problem. It has random crashes with video. Basically, when I play video, it will sometimes play fine, but other times the video will start showing green lines/blocks and then the screen will flicker followed in a few seconds by a hard crash, I'm then forced to reboot.

I've tried latest drivers for nforce and video cards, it seems to happen less frequently with the later ones than it did before. Memory timings are 5-5-5-14 at 860Mhz 2.1v, CPU at 3.05Ghz at 1.29v. It has been running stable like that in my older motherboard (965P-DS3) for a year.

I've switched my driver options in the global tab to use a single GPU for the OS, so I know it's not an SLi problem. This doesn't happen in games, the highest temp my GPUs get to is about 78 degrees, fans set to 40% in rivatuner. I've run Orthos with the CPU in this motherboard at 3.3Ghz 1.22v for 2 hours so I doubt that's the problem - max temp 58 degrees.

One thing I haven't done is update the BIOS for my motherboard, just haven't had time to do it yet, could that solve the problem? Perhaps I need to up the NB voltage, if so what kind of voltage should I set it to (I'm reluctant because it already runs hot)?

Also it's not my HD as they've come over from my old setup as well, which never had any problems like this, and wouldn't even post 3.3Ghz. Could my second 8800GT be buggy even though it shouldn't be used in video playback according to the driver settings?

I've looked at feedback for this motherboard and they're a lot of criticisms and problems of not being able to install Windows etc, but I've had no such problems, just this one, any ideas?

Sorry for the long post but I can't figure it out. :(

Bump? :(

Also, it never crashes playing video in a browser (currently using firefox). It can play WMP, Quicktime with no problems but sometimes flash slows down.

I assume you've already tried dropping your overclock to default, to check if the problem reappears?... both on the CPU and VC.

No OC on the video cards (the GPUs are factory overclocked to 660Mhz) but I don't see a need to drop the CPU oc when it's been stable at that speed for over a year in a different motherboard? I'll give it a try, man I hate booting this thing at 1.86Ghz, so slow. :-/

So I went back to default clocks, everything seems to be ok at that speed, so it seems a little temperamental. I just tried updated the BIOS, which will not boot my CPU at 3Ghz at all :(

Going to flash my BIOS again, hopefully with better results (just got recurring bluescreen on bootup with the current 802s).

Can anyone give advice about what voltage to put through the NB? I left it on Auto which seems to do a pretty good job, but obviously something is making it crash. I would've guessed that the nature of these crashes would be down to fussy BIOS, but I could be wrong.

EDIT: 602 BIOS hanged and wouldn't even load the BIOS forcing me to remove the battery. So it definitely seems to be BIOS related. :(

Last edited:
I tried stock clocks and it still crashed. Currently I'm on the 703 BIOS, which have allowed me to overclock again. I'm going to see if disabling SLi does the trick, but I doubt it'll make a difference.

Back