• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Corsair 4gb DDR2 Kits and the ICs Used

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yellowbeard XMS

Official Corsair Tech Support
I have to admit that I have copied and pasted (blatantly plagiarized) my red bearded co-worker, Redbeard.

"Hey guys, good news. We've just started shipping our 2x2GB 8500 modules. They're built on PSC chips and are quite fast. Typical lab results see 1100+ speeds pretty easily on the 2x2GB kits. We're also launching 2x1GB kits of the same PSC chips, they're pretty fast as well, since they're single-rank they're a bit faster than the 2x2GB kits. We're still selling Micron-based parts, as well. The TWIN2X2048-8500C5DF is 100% micron-based. However, the new TWIN2X4096-8500C5D and TWIN2X2048-8500C5D parts will be PSC based due to exceptionally high demand for the speed grade and the low, low prices of DDR2 right now. The new 4GB kit built with PSC at 8500 should actually be cheaper than the old 2GB kit built with Micron.

The good news is that there's a 2x2GB kit of 8500 in the market now that's rocking fast, and we're working on a 2x2GB 9136 kit (1142 MHz) for you really crazy guys as well. If you have any questions let me know."

I was too lazy to paraphrase all of that. Here is the associated press release.

http://www.corsairmemory.com/news/press_release.aspx?id=447949

Now i cant decide between this : 4GB G.Skill DDR2 PC2-8500 (5-5-5-15) PK Series Dual Kit (8-layer PCB) ( already ordered ) and this one ..

Any thoughts?

Will the TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF run at 2.1volts as the PDF claims?

I have corsair some TWIN2X2048-8500C5D and the PDF says 2.1volts, but version 3.1 says 2.20 volts on the sticker.:confused:

My Opinion:
I hope the price of the TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF is close to the G.Skill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK, I don't think a fancy heatsink & the corsair name is going to be worth an expensive price tag. Especially when the G.Skill will run at 2.0volts with a normal heatsink and is $169.99.

Added:
I wonder if 4x2GB of TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF would run with the NB(mch) at stock voltage?(My G.Skill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK will)

Last edited:
I got a set last FRI and they run fine at 2.1v. I have not run them on the IP-35 Pro yet but, I have run our other 4gb kits on it and it does fine. As far as the NB voltage goes, that will be entirely up the the MOBO.

hi,
I was wondering why the AL-TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF is nearly twice as cheap as AL-Q2X4096-85C5DF

There both 4Gigs, but the Q2 is 4 x 1024mb and twin2x4096 is 2 x 2048

There both 4 gigs but normally 2 gig chips are more expensive than two 1G sticks.

I live in australia and have been looking at several shops, this one in particular

http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/index...pcmarket.com.au/show_image_products.php?input[category_id]=1573 (copy paste the link didnt seem to fully get it)

where it is nearly twice as cheap as

http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/index...pcmarket.com.au/show_image_products.php?input[category_id]=1573 (copy paste the link didnt seem to fully get it)

Why is the newer RAM with 2x2G sticks nearly twice as cheap as 4x1G when they have only just come out and there both PC-8500, 1066mhz

In the Quote, what was meant by its not MICRON its PSC. Is this a cheaper material and if so is it worse quality? I just really dont understand how its alot cheaper, not that i mind, cos i wanna buy this RAM, but i just wanna check first that its not made from dodgier materials.

Regards

Any idea how much the 2x2GB 9136 kit (1142 MHz) will cost? The TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF is only $159.99.:eek:

well from redbeards statement, ddr2-1100+ for 4gig kits it really good. consider the powerchips used on the gskill ddr2-1066 kit, those barly get over ddr2-1100 in some cases. to me seeing non microns in 2gig dimms doing even ddr2-1000 is a nice to see. simply cause the others seem to run coolers oced or not vs microns.

Yeh its good they run at lower voltages, so if i put more in say 8G worth then they shouldnt really slow down from not enough power that some people were having with the older chips. Im still unsure though if these are dodgy or if i buy them i will get maximum performance of 1066mhz which i hopefully will.

my PSU is Thermaltake 850W

Mobo: M3A32-MVP Deluxe 790fx chipset

should be heaps of power to run two of them or even four later for 8G ram :D.

But ye, still cant confirm why they have made a newer chip that supposebly is not as good as the older model. But i would still most likely get the new one because its nearly twice as cheap and you get 2G sticks aswell :D

So really is it worth spending nearly twice as much for the micron ones that are 4 x 1G then getting the PSC 2x2G

theres a big difference in $280 to $520. and later i could upgrade to 8G with the 4 x 2G sticks.

http://www.pcmarket.com.au/DD21GZ,PC8000~PC10000.php

from this site, the prices are similar to the ones i posted before but a bit more expensive but u can see the price difference. The G.Skill also have similar prices for there 2x2Gig PC8500 RAM.

are they also doing the same with PSC or is this just to match there prices.
Also do you recommend this ram or stick with the PSC corsair ram that we have been discussing?

i would stick with the 4gig kits...if you already own one stick with that. still buying ram new for the price and ocing these sticks look sweet.

Atm i got 4 x 1G PC 6400, 800mhz corsair ram, but im upgrading to a phenom so i wanna get the 1066mhz ram so im getting completely new ram so ill prob get the 2x2G sticks, for the price and also its not liek its going to be a dissapointment, anything thats corsair dominator has some oomph its not the top of the line for corsair for no reason. so ye ill get it in about a week or so and let you know how it goes. unless someone thinkgs i should spend heaps more and get the other corsair or something else. let me know

regards

Back