• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Open box Yorkfield QX9650 at newegg

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just so you know, there is probably a reason why they returned them. My guess would be they clock horribly.

Just noticed that the QX9650's stepping is SLAN9.

Hmm..."Slan" was one of my favorite books as a teenager.

holy cow..... $800 for a cpu... damn... i've been out of the cpu loop for too long.

So many people complain about how expensive PS3 is and then has no problem dropping $600 on a vid card, and $800 on a CPU. This world is crazy.....

(just a comment, not making a point to **** people off)

ya.... IMO i wouldnt even dare buy an open box anything from newegg... like stated they obviously returned it for a reason.
Well, with other items it isn't too bad. They could have returned it because of a compatibility issue...this one, not so much of a chance. But I would side with you on this, I wouldn't even consider it.

holy cow..... $800 for a cpu... damn... i've been out of the cpu loop for too long.

So many people complain about how expensive PS3 is and then has no problem dropping $600 on a vid card, and $800 on a CPU. This world is crazy.....

I think it's safe to say that the people buying this chip, and the people complaining about the price of the PS3 etc are not one and the same. I for one, don't mind spending the money for a PS3/X-box, but in the area of proc, will get something much cheaper and clock it to perform like its much more expensive counterpart.

what a bargain !! now only 600 more than Q6600.
...and it also has an unlocked mutliplier...and it will overclock better...and it put out less heat....etc etc.

It is well worth the price.

Or they had second thoughts on paying their mortgage instead. =)

It looks like more than one was sitting there. It is still in stock. Probably more than one reason to return them. Maybe they were purchased by newbies who had boards than needed a bios flash before supporting 45 nm and didn't realize it. Just because people are rich and buy top end stuff doesn't mean that they are all that up on computer stuff.

Well... I only hope they are using that cpu for something more important than video games. A ps3 is just a video game console where a computer can do so much more.

My guess is

This has been benched like no tommorow, had 1.8V through it and they sent it back.

You can tell its been used, if the pic is of the real thing. You can see the outline of a heatsink..

You can tell its been used, if the pic is of the real thing. You can see the outline of a heatsink..

My new Q6600 looks just like that one in the pic. Newegg always uses the same product pics for Open box as new items.

My new Q6600 looks just like that one in the pic. Newegg always uses the same product pics for Open box as new items.
They also test the chips at the factory. My QX9650 had a square scuff mark on it like that ;)

Mine was NIB retail.

Last edited:
Back