• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disabling onboard video reduce power consumption?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ken B.

Was wondering if anyone knows whether disabling the onboard video on nvidia chipsets like the 6100 series will reduce power consumption or not?

I know you can "disable" the onboard video in the BIOS. That's nice. But then if I add a separate video card, am I basically just powering two video cards when I only wanted one?

I'm interested in uATX sized boards to make a small system, but almost all of them come with built-in vampire video that I don't want.

I'll reply, I don't care though.

I have a GA-G33M-DS2R board with integrated graphics, I have the graphics in BIOS set to 'PCIe if available'.. I just checked XP's device manager under display devices to see if anything showed up besides the 8800, and it doesn't. I'd assume if the onboard was getting power, it would show up there.

If you want to send me a killawattz or something I can check for you..

When the integrated GPU is disabled, does the GPU still receive electrical power, or....is it merely no longer using IRQ, DMA, and memory address?

I am unconcerned about the IRQ, DMA, and memory addresses. I know if the GPU is disabled, it will no longer use those. My question is in relation to the electrical power that is supplied to the GPU portion of the chipset, that electricity is still used even though the GPU portion has been supposedly "disabled" (i.e. not using OS resources).

Maybe that is clearer

If you disable it, it should cut power to the chip.

Guess easiest way to find out is to put a tempature probe on the heatsink where the onboard GPU is. Have it with it on and off. You should see a difference.

Back