• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tbird 1.2 gig with 200 fsb: stuck at 1.52 Gig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bwgerho

I want to run the 1.2 gig Tbird with a fsb of 142 to give a processor speed of about 1.7 gig. I have an Asus A7M266. I have run with a 1.4 gig Tbird and run the fsb up to 145+ so the objective should be within reach - considering the mb, memory etc.

The memory is Micron PC2100. It will run 145 Mhz fsb with latency of 2. Appears to be good hardware.

Also, processor temperature is low - say 39C so that should not present a problem.

Running 1.85 core volts

Can only make 127 Mhz fsb (1.52 Ghz on processor) and the system refuses to boot even though process temp remains low.

Any suggestions???

If you have your 1.2 currently at 1.52! I would consider that a great overclock! I don't know if 1.7 can be done with a 1.2!:)

I have seen databases with the 1.2 at 1.8 gig or better. My goal should be achievable; I am just hung somewhere.

I can put my 1.4 in and run that at 145 fsb which will benchmark much better than this 1.2 and still runs at 1.52 Gig for the processor.

bwgerho said:
I have seen databases with the 1.2 at 1.8 gig or better. My goal should be achievable; I am just hung somewhere.

I can put my 1.4 in and run that at 145 fsb which will benchmark much better than this 1.2 and still runs at 1.52 Gig for the processor.

Is your 1.2 a "9" or a "Y"? If you're running a water-cooled system, then maybe 1.7 can be done. (never come close to 1.7 with air)

Where do I find the 9 or Y information - on the chip??

With respect to the cooling issue, I am an engineer by training and well versed in heat transfer. I have improved the cooling of the chip by airflow changes. I'll write a description following more testing, but note that I am still less than 40C and cannot go any higher. I know my memory sytem will go higher. I hit some barrier.

Do I need to change some multiplier on the L2?? Does the higher fsb cause probems there?

bwgerho said:
With respect to the cooling issue, I am an engineer by training and well versed in heat transfer. I have improved the cooling of the chip by airflow changes. I'll write a description following more testing, but note that I am still less than 40C and cannot go any higher. I know my memory sytem will go higher. I hit some barrier.

Do I need to change some multiplier on the L2?? Does the higher fsb cause probems there?

To tell you the truth! It think it's the chip's barrier. Yes, a higher FSB will cause problems, more with pci/network cards than the cpu itself! Your temps look great! The chip can only handle so much voltage. I had my vcore up to 2.25 and the chip still stalls at 1.6!

Ok first have you tried lowering the multiplier then raising the fsb (127x12=1524 try ???x11 , ???x10) this is only to make sure your components can handle higher fsb.

After that I see you are only @ 1.85v... if you can up the core voltage. I am @ 1444 with my tbird w/ 1.85v but if I go to 1.95v I can oc up to 1500mhz so that is most likely your problem. If that doesnt work then the chip has met its limit.

Im a bit confused...if you alrdy have a 1.4 Tbird why have a 1.2?

:confused:

Either way with that 1.2 thats a NICE overclock....:burn:

I think the Voltage is the problem, my 1Ghz chip hits 1.3Ghz at default Voltage, and my 1.2Ghz hits 1.43Ghz at default voltage.

Try a volt mod and if that doesn't work then try watercooling it (as you oc more then over 30C can be a problem due to a lower heat threshold) otherwise your chip is maxed out.

However I'd be happy with it, if you want to get more out of it then it might cost a lot ogf $ in which case buy a new chip!!!

First, thanks for all the replies. I'll try to answer questions below.

Wildbilly - core voltage = 1.85 V which is the max allowed by jumpers for the motherboard - ASUS A7M266.

JDSlow - I had a 1.4 with a 133 fsb in the system. Here, I verified the components at up to 145 Mhz fsb. Note the memory is PC2100 which is DDR for 133 fsb. Clearly, it should be fine.

Jaws - I'll check the 9 or Y on the chip.

Angry - Here is the history. I put in a Tbird 1.4 (1.4 Gig 133 fsb = multiplier of 10.5) and found I could only get to 145 fsb; at 150 it would not boot. I felt that may be a problem with the memory because I am running agressive settings - 256 Meg Micron PC2100 rated CL 2.5, BUT running latency of 2, 2, 2. I wanted to keep the push on the memory but needed a higher multiplier. The ASUS A7M266 does NOT allow setting the multiplier, so I am stuck with what is on the chip. Hence, the idea was to buy a chip with a bigger multiplier (1.2 gig with a 100 fsb = multiplier of 12), then push the fsb up to 140 - 145 with the verified aggressive memory settings. I have a self developed room air cooling scheme that works very well so I felt I could push the CPU to 1.7 and still be COOL.

Perhaps I am running into the limit on the chip. What about controlling the frequency to the PCI - since my chip is rated for 100 fsb, when I push to higher levels, I am raising the freq to the PCI and AGP. What about controlling these variables? Can I set the AGP to a 2x to cut the graphics speed?? I have room on my cooling scheme and feel that I am running into some problem with other systemd. Any thoughts????

Thanks in advance; Happy New Year

bwgerho, 1.2 at 1.52, impressive!

I am running a similar try here too. :)

I was able to post at 1533 with 1.82 voltage, but PC locked at XP logon screen. Temps were good BTW (39c) I suppose bumping voltage up to 1.85 or 1.90 wil help. What you all think ? :eh?:

Strange thing is my mobo says it can only go to 1.85v , but while playing with voltage setting I was able to get 1.90....make any sense? I doublechecked the reading with 3 different progs/probes. The weirdest thing about that, was that wasn't even the highest setting according to the jumpers I tried!

:eek:

Angryviking said:
I suppose bumping voltage up to 1.85 or 1.90 wil help. What you all think ? :eh?:

Strange thing is my mobo says it can only go to 1.85v , but while playing with voltage setting I was able to get 1.90....make any sense? I doublechecked the reading with 3 different progs/probes. The weirdest thing about that, was that wasn't even the highest setting according to the jumpers I tried!

Volt mod will help to a point! The chip can only go so far! As for your vcore reading 1.92, that is common!:)

JAWS said:

Volt mod will help to a point! The chip can only go so far! As for your vcore reading 1.92, that is common!:)

Alright I really want to know if the reading is the real voltage or not cause both my chips are on Epx 8k7a's and they are @ 1.85c (duron) and 1.75v (tbird) according to the chip L bridges. Is the cpu default the core voltage or is the board really pumping in the extra .1v?

All the voltages varie depending on the Power required and the power being supplied at that time.

As I think the PSU's in PC's convert AC to DC (correct me if i'm wrong) this makes more fluctuation in power.
In my house occasionally the lights get brighter on dimmer (just) as different electricity is being used.

I've seen the VCore varie from 1.89V to 1.86V under Full Load and idle.

If its set to 1.85V then thats what its gonna be!

Also weak PSU's will drop the VCore lower than it should be so watch out!

yeah i noticed when i used to run my athlon xp 1900+ the vcore was alot lower than it should be so when i get my 1900+ replaced i need to get a 400w powersupply cause then my over clock will be much greater but as i am running my t bird 1200 it runs the exact vcore

Back