• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project:Over Budget

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Froggy

So my saga starts last Oct. I was gonna be one of the first to own the new MM H2G0 case. The original info said it could hold up 2 PA120.2's & 2-PA160's. I already had the 160's & I scored a decent deal in the classies on a 120.2, so I ordered another 120.2 & I was set. I ordered the case, it came & whoops, the 160's didn't fit by about an inch.

So that case & the new 120.2 went back to MM & I decided to wait until the "choose your own" case was shipping. In the interest of saving money & due to the fact I already had a MCR320. I planned on using that in the front & the 120.2 in the lower rear. I was having some brackets made up so that I could put one or both of my 160's where the 5.25 bays go on a Horizon case.

Well due to a compound error I received the wrong back panel. No biggie, Ben sent me out the right one to rectify that. So if you are still with me, I tore down my existing PC, converted it to air & began putting my new baby together.

It was when I attempting to mount the MCR320 to the front panel that I realized I had been sent the PA style front. So I had one of those fits of "questionable inspiration". I took that as a sign I should just go all out so I would never have any cooling regrets!

So I am selling tons of my cooling gear & I ordered 2 PA120.3's for the front & back. I also ended up with only one PA160 in the case as well for two reasons. One with two 120.3 I was already at overkill cooling wise. And two I stumbled across this.

I have a 16GB SSD HDD for the OS, drivers, & small apps. All my games & other stuff will be on a 4x80GB 2.5HDD RAID 0 array in that awesome little enclosure. It is literally the size of a CD-ROM & should be an awesome little data array.These drives are so quiet & vibrate so little considering they are hard mounted it is amazing. Another plus is that laptop hdd's use the 5V line "heavily" which will help against cross-loading of my PSU.

So this build consists of the following-
1-MM Horizon wrinkle black case
2-PA120.3 rads
1-PA160 rad
2-MCP350's with PT-DDCT-01s tops
1-Apogee GT CPU WB
1-VJ Vipervenom IV WB
10-Masterkleer 7/16" tubing
1-CorsairHX620 PSU
4-Hitachi 80GB 2.5 SATA HDD
1-Lite-on Sata DVD-R
1-MTRON Mobi 6000 16GB SATA HDD
4-1GB Ballistix 6400 CL4 Ram Module
1-HR-07 Duo RAM Cooler
1-HR-05 NB cooler
6-Petra YL's SL fans
1-Nexus 92mm fan
1-Nexus 80mm fan
1-Fan Controller
1-E6600 w/ 1.2875 coretemp VID
1-VJ modified 8800 Ultra
1-DFI LP DK P35-T2RS w/ NB & SB cooling hard mounted w/AS5

My goal with this setup is 450x9 on the CPU & 450 w/ a 4x1 RAM config with the tightest I can crank the timings down on. These will be 24/7 clocks as I use it for Crysis & TF2 mostly. I am on a 7900GTX right now, & I cannot believe how much slower it is next to my VJ8800. Well here are some pics to whet your appetite. Plus the amount of Horizon pics on the net are aburdly low.

IMG_2942 (Custom).JPG

IMG_2943 (Custom).JPG

IMG_2944 (Custom).JPG

IMG_2945 (Custom).JPG

Last edited:
Holy crap that is impressive. I really like mountain mod cases, but they are really pricey. I'm almost afraid to ask, but how much was/will be everything?

Umm case & cooling should be right around a grand if I am remembering correctly.
I'll have around $600.00 in the HDD's & that enclosure.
Mobo, CPU, & RAM was around $450.00
Video card at the time was steal used for $650.00
PSU was around $120 back I bought I think
Sound card was about $75.00
And prolly $1-200 in misc. stuff(Fans, fittings, adaptors, yadda yadda yadda)

So basically $3000.00 YIKES, I am more over budget than I thought! I average $1000-$1500 a year basically. I tell myself & my Wife that it is cheaper than a truck or car habit. I don't smoke & almost never drink, so the savings there pay for it(another rationalization).

Here is an update on my hard mounted NB & SB heatsinks. Both are lapped & held in place with 4-40 nuts & bolts. AS5 was used for both NB & SB.

The video card will fit with an 1/8" to spare & the Apogee GT has plenty of room as you can see.

IMG_2963 (Custom).JPG

IMG_2965 (Custom).JPG

IMG_2966 (Custom).JPG

Love the project. Nice job.

Here's another justification: Most of the cooling parts, and the case can remain the same for future upgrades. Only the mobo/cpu/vc needs to be changed.

Now you can take up drinking and smoking! :beer:

Looks good, who cares about a fugly interior, if it kicks butt with the FPS, rock on. Can't wait to see more pics, and I thought my case was a bad mamma-jamma! :thup:

How about some water shots & some Thermalright ram heatsink loving.

Plus a "Cringe" moment pic. I "LOVE" throwing money away. The Ballistix thermal tape is much more tenacious than the G. Skills version. I was applying steady pressure when it just "popped" & the heatspreader "flew" off the ram module.

View attachment 63125

View attachment 63126

View attachment 63127

Last edited:
Ouchies..... Thats ok, you have a wave soldering tool handy right....

Isn't there like 96 little wires connected there?

I have a hard enough time soldering 2-3 22ga fan wires together! :p

Well it is an "extra" fan that has a little frame damage. The fan matches the orange memory & PCI-E slots as well the SATA ports on the mobo. Now it doesn't match the rest of the cooling setup whatsoever. I have always been a function over form kinda guy, but you are making me ponder this. I'll have to look at it & make a decision soon!

p.s. I have more black fan grilles on the way too BTW!

Back