• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

the p5e and the bsod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Whisky

ive been running my p5e for about a month now with minimal trouble but i do get random bsods in games and programs. the crashdumps tell me that they are caused by 1 of these 3 drivers each time:
nv4_disp.dll
ha20x2k.sys
hidusb.sys

corresponding to video, sound, and input. my system is in the sig, and is p95 stable for 12+hrs. any thoughts on bios settings or anything else that may be bad? thx for your help :)

if its intermittent then the chances are good that you may be experiencing and IRQ problem.
try moving the sound card to different pci slots

what I have found over the years is that most of these (even the display driver) problems are almost always caused by a conflict of the NIC and the sound card or sound card and some other device

thanks. ive tried movin it to the other slot but still no luck :rolleyes: i did think about irq conflict before but didnt figure it could be the problem

try either playing a long time without the sound card installed or disable the network adapter

my friend had a similar problem and it seemed sporatic. I was able to determine it was an irq conflict between the nic and sound card when the computer continuously crashed using only msn with the sound turn on.

Since it was trying to use the nic and the sound card that was the problem. Disabled the nic and used another one... fixed the problem right up

ahh well after lookin around in the device manager, both the xfi and the nic/usb are sharin the same irq... so i switched slots again. thanks for the advice. i hope it works :)

Last edited:
here's hoping. In the past I have had to do such insane things as having 2 nics, figure out which one had the same irq as the sound card and then disable that one and use the other one

hopefully you get it fixed

ive been running my p5e for about a month now with minimal trouble but i do get random bsods in games and programs. the crashdumps tell me that they are caused by 1 of these 3 drivers each time:
nv4_disp.dll
ha20x2k.sys
hidusb.sys

corresponding to video, sound, and input. my system is in the sig, and is p95 stable for 12+hrs. any thoughts on bios settings or anything else that may be bad? thx for your help :)

Have you ever gotten a freeze accompanied by a squeal sound?

Have you ever gotten a freeze accompanied by a squeal sound?

nope, not on this board. on my old nforce4 i did. nf4 and xfi DID NOT get along at all. went thru 3 different companies and came to that conclusion. but other than the irq conflict, no squeals or snap crackle pop with the x38 so im very relieved

well i thought i had it all figured out, but im still gettin bluescreens but with just random drivers now and ntoskernel.exe....any thoughts? i cant reassign irqs in my bios unfortunately either

if its ntoskernel.exe its almost guarenteed to be an IRQ
that process deals with the PAE which has to do with the physical addressing of your components.

Try the following

if you have an extra nic throw it in and disable or simply dont use your current one
if problem persists try the opposite (i.e. if you disabled the first time enable and dont use and vice versa)

otherwise try the following

Turn down the size of your page file
if problem persists

take out a stick of ram
if problem still persists

back off your overclock
if problem still persists

go back to stock and see if you can replicate the error.

LOL and for the love of god pray you didnt corrupt that file lol that could be very bad if you had anything important and no alternate desktop to retreive your info from

Back