• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help on new setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KGH

hi all,

I'm going to build a new rig for multi tasks, so I need your help in order to get the right setup. Primary I would do a lot of VMware (about having 3-4 different OSes runnng) and mild graphic/video editing. My target is to OC around 3.4-3.6ghz on AirCooling and good hdd response.

So far, I have Q6600 G0 in hand. The rest depends on your inputs. However, here is the list that I have in mind. As long as the price/performance is well justified then I'm ok with it.

Board: Gigabyte P35-DS3R ( needed some board with good OC + Raid 0/1) or Abit IP35-Pro ?

PSU: OCZ GameStream 600W or Corsair 620HX or 520HX ?
RAM: GSkill 2x2 PC6400 or OCZ 2x2 PC6400

HDD setup probably the hardest part.
1 x raptorx 150GB or 2 x 7200.11 RAID 0 for OS and application installed
(would 2 x raptorX in RAID 0 improve 35% over the 1x raptorX ?)

Video card: 512MB of x1900xt or 7900GT would be good for 2 x 1600x1200 ?

any input would be thankful,

Kevin

the ram you posted I would probably go with the GSkill because : A) its a 1.8V chip vs the 2.0V of the OCZ you linked and B) the tighter timings on the Gskill 5-5-5-15 vs 5-5-5-18

Unless I miss my guess, the voltage difference gives you a little more flexibility in your overclock. As well if you have to relax the timings to get the 1:1 ratio I would rather relax the gskill.

I dont have any particular experience with the 2 Gig sticks I have both of these ones in the 1 Gig size

as for the psu the gamexstream has stronger/more 12v rails. It boils down to, do you want to pay the extra 60-80 for the modular corsair?

I don't mind if it isnt modular, as long as it is good quality and best bang for the buck.
yea, i would go with the G.skill too (just done reading several reviews on RAM and found that ppl are more luck on 4x2gb G.skill ..just in case I add in 2x2 later on)

Back