• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First boot issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkAlexandr

Registered
Im currently building a new computer, and at moment I am unable to get it to boot properly. All of the fans spin up, the hard drive kicks in, but I'm unable to get a video signal. With the 12 volt plugged in I am recieving a constant short beeping from the post, which according to the manual means theres a power error. If I unplug the 12 volt, the beeping goes away and everything spins up, but I still have no video.

The Hardware:
Gigabyte GA-MA69G-S3H Socket AM2 motherboard
AMD64 AthlonX2 4000+
Antec Neopower 550
2x 1GB sticks of GSkill DDR2 800 Ram
nVidia Geforce 7600
Seagate 7200.10 250gb SATA hdd
Sony NEC 20x DVD RW drive

Any recommendations on what I should try next? I've moved the ram to different slots in hopes that the motherboard was just being uppity, but no such luck so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance!

-DarkAlexandr

Are you talking about the four pin CPU power connector on the motherboard?
It should be the two yellow with two black four pin connector.
It may be a modular connection so check to make sure it's the right plug on the PSU.

Good luck!

I think you're talking about the snap off for the 20/24 main connector. The 4 pin breakaway is not for the the CPU power connector. There should be another line from the PSU that is either a 4 pin or 4+4 pin connector...that is the CPU power not connection.

Honestly, these issues end up being 80% user error, 20% hardware failure. Not saying that you can't put a computer together or anything, but everyone makes mistakes, so what I would recommend is unplugging everything, then putting it back together (checking the manual for which power connectors you need).

Also, set this build up with the most minimal configuration: 1 stick of ram in dimm4, cpu, vidcard.

Back