• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Forum Wars (Winter Warz 2008)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deanzo

Benchmarking Senior Member
Hello OCF members.

As some of you will know, OCF won Forum Wars 2007 :clap:

And it's time to do it all over again.
As it stands each forum has a team of 20 players, (5 sets of 4) that count to the over all score. A forum can have more players than that, though those members scores wont count to the over all forum total.

Stock testing starts today and goes for two week. Anyone wanting to play must enter a stock score.

Around 25 - 30 members of the OCF benchmarking team have put their hands up, and said they would like to keep OCF on top.
But all forum members are more than welcome to take part in the fun.

If this is something you would like to take part in, please fell free to post in this thread and let me know.

If you are reading this and have no idea what I'm going on about (most of the time I don't even know :beer:) please have a read of the below.

Hello... My name is Raymond Roy (Raymo)
I am the CEO of The Raptor Pit
http://www.theraptorpit.com/forum/index.php?act=idx

I want to invite your forum to a benching contest against other forums.
This contest is called "Forum Wars" and is put on twice a year.

"Winter Warz 2008" is coming up at the end of February.
All PC's are welcome to join, the target for each forum is 20 players.
If you have less, then players may enter a 2nd system (see rules) to fill out the Target # of players.
This is a Team competition.
The Teams will have 4 players on each with your best players on the A Team. (A,B,C,D & E Teams)
The best combination of final rankings determines the overall winner.
Last year we had over 175 players from many forums...
The Bench's used will be....
Geekbench (a new bench that tests CPU & Memory)
3dmark 2001
3dmark 2003
3dmark 2006
Super Pi (1mb)

This is our 4th year sponsoring this event, there will be some very nice random drawing prizes.
Sponsors onboard already are Abit & Geil Memory with more to come.
Please see the rules for a full explaination...
http://www.theraptorpit.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1359

Please indicate if your interested at....
http://www.theraptorpit.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1408

Thank you for your time.
Raymo

Their Rules said:
The Spirit of the Games... This is very Important!
Tweaks are allowed, FSB, Multi, Htt, Memory,Voltage, VGA Bus & Mem... ect
Cheats are not, Ram drives, no on-the-fly affinity modifications, modifing Drivers ect
Note... not all has been mentioned here, just keep in mind "The Spirit of the Games"
Penelties for violating this will be harsh.

Winter Warz and Summer Wars have been created....
Summer Wars will have seperate "Ultra Extreme Class"
for all the super cooled Rigs and Newer ES chips..

This will be Winter Warz 2008....

Winter Warz Dates......
2 weeks for prelim (stock) testing. (Feb 29th thru March14th)
1 week to choose rosters and team names. (March 15th thru March 21st)
3 weeks to OC for the Warz. (March 22nd thru April 19th)
All deadlines are on 11:59 CST US & Mexico

The Bench's......
Geekbench, 3d01, 3d03, 3d06, SuperPi 1mb (v1.5)
Scoring will be adjusted so that the max for each test is 70,000 or so...
(you dont have to redo all your tests to post an updated Score)

Scoring.....
Bench scores will be weighted so a high-end rig with conventional cooling will earn a FWs overclocked score of roughly 70,000 on each bench. Highly tweaked or UE rigs may exceed 70,000 points."
3D01... True Score
3D03... True Score
3D06... 4 Times actual Score
Geekbench... 10 times actual Score
Super Pi.... Weighted to a max 80,000 = 8 seconds
All Added up for a Warz Score
The "A Teams" play against all "A Teams"
The "B TEams" play against all "B Teams"
and so forth...

The Rules......
One system per player, unless the forum is short on the 20 player target.
Then and second system by each player can be added to fill out the rosters (only 1 system can be on the A Team)
The 2nd Rig must have a different CPU and Reduced VGA.
Reduced VGA means if you use SLI, you cannot use the same set up on your 2nd Rig, you can only use 1 card.
But if you have a lesser set of VGA cards... thats OK!
Standard HDD performance tuning (like RAID) on ATA, SATA, SATA II are ok. No limit on # of HDD's.
Ram or Virtual Drives are not allowed.
Acceptable Operating Systems: Windows 2000, XP, Server 2003 or Vista and all variants of each (32-bit/64-bit, home/pro/ultimate, etc.)
Acceptable Drivers: ALL (No driver limitation)
Acceptable Hardware: All (except unreleased ES chips and similar)
NO UPGRADES after March 12th, None... Period! (But RMA's are ok, subject to validation for the same hardware).
Forum Police can deny any posted score if not properly submitted
The Forum Wars Judges will vote on All Questionable scores
The "Forum Wars Admin" Forum is where the forum police will post a poll and discuss scores and rule clarifications.
This forum will be password protected.
All Forum Police will be registered in our Database and all scores will be entered into the database
then transferred to our spreadsheet. Then tabulated and posted on the TRP website (usually twice a week).
***No Unreleased hardware may be used in Team Scoring...
All released Hardware IE: motherboard, CPU,Memory & Video Card must be available in the retail sector before March 10th.
Compliance may consist of showing that an e-retailer lists the part as available or through provision of an invoice showing
purchase on or before March 12th. (allowing 2 days for mail) Posting Deadline March 14th
E Samples that are released before February 29th are allowed.

Ultra Cooling..... (only 4 UC Rigs total per forum)
Ultra cooled Rigs will be allowed on the A & B Teams only
No more than 2 UC sli/cf (A Team Only)
No more than 2 UC quad (A Team Only)
No more than 4 UC overall
Ultra cooled is defined as: Vapo, Dry Ice, Liquid Nitrogen and Cascades

Participating Forums......
Each Forum must provide their own Forum Police (2 to 5 is preferred)
All cops will have access to "Forum Wars Admin" and the Database for Score entries
If a Forum has no forum cops they will be required to post at The Raptor Pit on the Scoring thread.
Participating Forums need to create 3 threads
A discussions thread that I can link to from the main site for checking each other out and taunting
A closed "Forum Wars 2007 Entry" thread (not hidden) (where all scores will be posted)
An "Forum player entry thread" to Recruit Players and Cops
And of coarse... a passworded private forum for your players only.
Forums that wish NOT to Field an A Team will be required to have AT LEAST a B team

Teams and Catagories......
A thru E Teams...4 players per team (5 teams count toward the Overall) 20 players
no limit on Quad placement (but higher team placement is reccomended)
F,G and other Teams do not count towards the "Overall"
Meaning... if you have more than 20 players, the rest can still play.
Ultra cooled Rigs will be allowed on the A & B Teams only
The slacker class wil be used for all the late entries and do not count toward the overall
The Slacker class is unlimited... Anything Goes!!!
The preferred Roster is to have your best players on the "A Team", second best on the "B Team" and so forth.
Ultimately you can build your rosters as you wish.

Overall Scoring......
Forum final rankings from the A thru E teams are added up and the lowest total wins the overall
Tiebreakers are fewest # of penryns, quads & SLI/CF rigs, Forum players then coinflip

Bonus Points.......
When a forum (at the end of the wars) has their highest scores on their A Team, they will recieve 1 ranking point
When their B team has the second best score, they get another ranking point
When their C team has the 3rd best score, they get 1 last ranking point. (3 bonus points Max)
This will only effect forums with a full or mostly full complement of players (20)
The bonus ranking points are totaled then deducted from the forums overall score.
As you already know... the lowest ranking wins the overall and 2 or 3 deductions can mean alot.
So most of the larger forums will comply by putting their best players on the A, hopefully their second best on B and maybe
play around with the rest of their players for best position with in the remaining teams. or stick it out and make their C
team their third best either by design or by accident....
Teams that wish NOT to Field an "A Team" will be required to have a "B Team" and are NOT eligable for the Ranking
bonuses.....
Forums can place a team in any class, but have a much less chance of winning the overall

The Judges:
Coolcase (ASUS Independent)
Rtyrie1 (PC Pitstop)
Meltdown (Xtreme CPU)
Deanzo (OC Forums)
Luis GT (The Raptor Pit)
Jammin (OverClockers Club)
Raymo (The Raptor Pit) Tie breaker vote
FWs08 judges can participate as a player like anyone else in their forum, but if there is an issue involving them personally or a member of their forum, they are not allowed to vote as a judge.

These rules will not be modified in any form.
Any concern about the wording on specific issues will be voted on by the Forum Warz Judges.
The polling outcome will be final and not be disputed.
Any additions or clarifications approved by the administration will be added separately to the rules as ammendments, with no alteration to the original wording of these rules.

*** Disclaimer***
TRP (The Raptor Pit) will not be responsable for any damaged, broken, bent or burned hardware as a result of Overclocking a Personal Computer. Any Player that Overclocks his/her PC... does so at their own risk and will not hold (TRP) responsable... If you enter (by posting a score) then you accept this agreement.

Any questions, feel free to ask :)

This looks really fun, but I can't help but think the winner is determined by whoever can afford the best hardware. Seems like there should be a league of C2D's vs C2Q's, 1 GPU vs SLI/X-Fire, Air vs Water vs Extreme Cooling etc.

Regardless, once I get my new ram I'll be posting some scores :)

Here we go guys, time for another OCF beatdown ;) :D

The drivers are out there...... i'd enter both of them because the drivers should be ready for public use by the time the real competition starts.

Yep this is the way to do it sprite :thup:

This looks really fun, but I can't help but think the winner is determined by whoever can afford the best hardware. Seems like there should be a league of C2D's vs C2Q's, 1 GPU vs SLI/X-Fire, Air vs Water vs Extreme Cooling etc.

Regardless, once I get my new ram I'll be posting some scores :)

Yes and no :beer:

The way the teams are set out makes things quite equal, though if you can find 20 members that have a QX9650 and two 3870X2's, then thats a whole other story :)

Look forward to seeing your stock posting.

lol i have two 3870x2s but cant use them yet aghhhh !!!!!

It matters not if the drivers are not out yet, we would love to have your fire power on board and when it comes time to post the overclocked scores, I'm sure the drivers will be.

The drivers are out there...... i'd enter both of them because the drivers should be ready for public use by the time the real competition starts.

thanx all ya put a smile on my ugly mush

ohhh just notice this

Benching Team Member awww nice or does everyone sat that mmmm ill have a look lol

Edit nope i have a title !!!! and they said i would never mount to much ish shame on them !!!

Last edited:
I think I'll bite on this one this year.

So the first run has to be submitted has to be stock speeds?

Back