• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD 2600xt or HD 3650???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dusnoetos

While trying to keep things less than $100 but still have an improvement over my current set up (See sig). I am considering replacing my main video card with a SAPPHIRE 100236L Radeon HD 3650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 for $79.99 (newegg). or would I be better off getting a SAPPHIRE 100218L Radeon HD 2600XT 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 for $89.99. (Ive read the benchmarks are better...:confused:.)

I am mid line gamer. I am not concerned with having all the settings on high - I just want my games to look good and play smoothly.(just don't have the time or $$$ to be more hard core).
My 7600gs has served me well, but since I am on the verge of converting to Vista I would like a direct X 10 card for the next round of games when I do. (I would like to go with ATI since I am with the understanding when I decide to dedicate my current rig to a HTPC ATI is the better choice over NV. But open to suggestions to the contrary...)

Any-for-who any feed back would be great.:attn:

Last edited:
I'm no expert (or serious benchmarker for that matter) but I've never read anything to suggest the 3800 series do anything but crap all over the 2600 series in terms of raw performance.

I've got a 3850 and I'm chuffed to bits with it, there are people who (with the aid of volt mods) have clocked them up to nearly 900MHz core, mine runs happy as larry at 770MHz with no issues (except a little heat, which can be easily fixed with an aftermarket cooler)

edit: I mis-read your post, I thought you were talking about a 3850 rather than a 3650, sorry!!

edit: I mis-read your post, I thought you were talking about a 3850 rather than a 3650, sorry!!
not to worry...it would appear that that has happened a number of times on this forum.

If money was not an option I would simply get a 3870 X2 and call it even... but I am struggling to let my wife relequish $80 (even when I have a used computer store willing to give me $40 for my old 7600gs)

bro that sux...and you can't compare a 3850 to a 3870x2 price wise...you can get a 3850 for $150 and the 3870x2s are $450..no comparison..but the 3850 would blow away 4 2600xt's put together...

bro that sux...and you can't compare a 3850 to a 3870x2 price wise...you can get a 3850 for $150 and the 3870x2s are $450..no comparison..but the 3850 would blow away 4 2600xt's put together...

I know the 3850 is a great card..... but the card I am curious about is the 3650

all these number designations sure get confusing....

I can let you know about the 3650, I should have mine in a couple of days .

Yes please do....

but in the whole scheme of things should I just stick with my 7600gs? I am still running on a 939 board. while it runs great; should I keep putting money in to upgrading my current system......Or should I save my money to upgrade to a quad core SLI or crossfire setup???? (or am I thinking to hard with a tired mind?)

Single Sapphire 2600 XT 3Dmark06 score.
4619 Single card
crossfired...
Rig specs below
I'm happy with'em thus far

The 3650 is like the 2600 pro, its not as good as the 2600xt. I have the 3450 and its much like the 2400 pro. It performs a little better than the 2400s I've seen and is much cooler (its a die shrink

Well going off of what you all have said and from reading other stuff. It would appear the the 3650 is the best bet over all for my price range. It will (should) be a significant improvement over my 7600gs, and that is what I am looking for.

Now to convince the wife to let me spend the money..............:bang head

:clap::clap::beer: OK Got the wife to let me spend no more than $100 (with a catch of course but it is worth it...)

Any one out there have any ideas on what and where I could get the best deal...
And now indicision is creeping in: Should I be looking at a 8600gts?:confused:

:clap::clap::beer: OK Got the wife to let me spend no more than $100 (with a catch of course but it is worth it...)

Any one out there have any ideas on what and where I could get the best deal...
And now indicision is creeping in: Should I be looking at a 8600gts?:confused:

look at the 3850 for 150 bucks

I am not all that concerned about Xfire....... My MB does not support it.. I just want the best single video card solution that fits in my budget. (my wife will have a cow if I spend over $150)

any modern card is either Xfire or sli any way....

Back