• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5K-EW J-Micron Enabled, IDE or AHCI (one DVD, one 80GB 7200 Seagate)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamefan

I have set the 2 SATA Raptors as RAID elsewhere in the BIOS.

Now I am a little father along in the BIOS progresssion and there is the:
J-Micron eSATA/PATA Controller
(options: Enabled Disabled)
&
Controller Mode
(options:RAID IDE AHCI)

I do not have any other drives of any kind anywhere besides a 80GB Seagate Baracuda, a IDE ATA LG GSA-H10N DVD, and floppy (on _floppy 80-conductor cable). So I have the 2 36GB SATA Raptors for RAID0 os and everything, and the Cuda 80GB is for mp3s only. I may use it every time I use the pooter, but it is not boot or anything else. The LG DVD (on the same 80-conductor cable as slave and master with the Cuda 80GB) on the only PRI_IDE on the mobo.

So I ASSUME I set J-Micron to Enabled (because its the only thing that says PATA anywhere, and I dunno if this is ICH9R question ie if it handles the PRI_IDE anyway).

But what about the mode IDE or AHCI. Because this may be something I cannot change after i.e. it isintegral to correct operation after installing first time? VISTA 32 RF

So I'm waiting. I am booting first time....soon. When I get an answer.

Last edited:
gamfan

You will need to enable the J-Mircon controller otherwise you will have no acccess to your IDE drives. Think of the J-Micron as your IDE controller ...turn it off and you no access to IDE devices.. Your SATA HDDs are handled by the ICH9

as for the second question

I'm assuming this is what your bios says:

SATA Configuration [enhanced]
Configure SATA as [RAID] RAID because you said you had a Raid array, otherwise if just two SATA drives you would choose ACHI.

THE "ide" SITUATION THEN IS eNABLED (OR dISABLED), and RAID IDE or AHCI. Thats to get my DVD and 80GB Cuda, thx.

The 2 Raptor situation is I haven't set the array yet, or been back into BIOS, but its now set to and pending RAID CTRL+I and surprisingly, Its a one liner "Configure SATA as" [RAID] : immediately preceeding is Robson Technology (Disabled). Its even indented tucked under the Robson line. No Enhanced etc. there. Thats the first and second lines. Coming from the root of the first BIOS column, "Main", the 2nd item from bottom, "SATA Configuration" option. Been an Asus owner for years. Am I good to go?

I do need my LG and Seagate, so enable the J-Micron controller, but IDE or AHCI or RAID? I would think AHCI but I think IDE is safer easier, because AHCI may be a cluster f*. I may be doomed either way, for what I dunno.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Host_Controller_Interface (notes on AHCI)

under "Common problems switching to AHCI under Windows" 4th heading beginning "Enabling AHCI in a system" I am gonna read haha, the kb article....

BTW The 80GB 7200 IDE drive already has its formatting and is loaded with keepers, if that makes my decision. I CANNOT under any circumstances (well I could) lose it. circa XPPro/2KPro/prob "NTFS".

Last edited:
Gamefan

Yes for your RAID setup ..you use Crtl I...during boot..so we'll considered that questions done. I have an ASUS board as well the manual is very good for setting your array up.

as for the J-Micron controller....yes..set it to enabled and "IDE"

Back