• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't get Oblivion HDR & AA to work at the same time.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ziggo0

What gives...I know this 8800 can do it, but why won't it? I've tried setting it in the INI, forcing it through the panel, but it's still all JAGGIE. Whats the trick?

I believe there is a modification in the files you can do to get it to work. I'd have to look, but I'm on my "backup OS", had to wipe my RAID >.>

I believe there is a modification in the files you can do to get it to work. I'd have to look, but I'm on my "backup OS", had to wipe my RAID >.>

Ouch...well, if you find something, let me know! I can actually run Oblivion with all the pretties on now, wanna play through it again.

So setting AA (global) in Nvidia control panel won't let you run Oblivion with HDR + AA?

I have 8800GT with the latest drivers and Oblivion with HDR + AA works just fine (2x... 4x starts to get choppy with mods I'm running (qarl pack and some others)).

So the standard stuff. Video card driver update?

So setting AA (global) in Nvidia control panel won't let you run Oblivion with HDR + AA?

I have 8800GT with the latest drivers and Oblivion with HDR + AA works just fine (2x... 4x starts to get choppy with mods I'm running (qarl pack and some others)).

So the standard stuff. Video card driver update?

That might be my issue...I'm using profiles instead of Global. Lemme try that. Driver is the latest XP 32 (169.28?)

i can get AA working by setting HDR in the game and forcing AA with the global settings
a couple issues i found though
1) i had to go back to drivers 162.18 otherwise i was getting random crashes
2) the AA doesnt work in the same area of the screen with HDR, for example if something is reflecting a very bright light source you will see the jaggies
3) it had a pretty sig performance hit, with my rig at 1920x1200 and a bunch of texture packs and what not it cut about 20 fps off my avg id say... still its about in the 40s outside which is fine.. inside is great

all in all its worth it, i couldnt stand having sucha beautiful game ruined by horrific jaggies

i can get AA working by setting HDR in the game and forcing AA with the global settings
a couple issues i found though
1) i had to go back to drivers 162.18 otherwise i was getting random crashes
2) the AA doesnt work in the same area of the screen with HDR, for example if something is reflecting a very bright light source you will see the jaggies
3) it had a pretty sig performance hit, with my rig at 1920x1200 and a bunch of texture packs and what not it cut about 20 fps off my avg id say... still its about in the 40s outside which is fine.. inside is great

all in all its worth it, i couldnt stand having sucha beautiful game ruined by horrific jaggies

I noticed the same thing. I actually got a BSOD when I put 16xQ on last night LOL. Oh well...I guess I can live without it. I'm running Qarl's Texture Pack 3, and the redimized version of it to help cut back on video memory, Riva still says it pegs out above 700mb.

16xQ! i use 4x at most... even 8x seems a bit too sluggish when a lot of action is going on for me

it still takes the rough edges off all the buildings against the sky which is where i notice the jaggies most and the performance hit isnt as bad using the full qtp3

I can't remember exactly now but I think it was best to use multisampling AA with Oblivion so it doesn't kill your GPU when it starts AA'ing all the grass

16xQ! i use 4x at most... even 8x seems a bit too sluggish when a lot of action is going on for me

it still takes the rough edges off all the buildings against the sky which is where i notice the jaggies most and the performance hit isnt as bad using the full qtp3

Yeah, I just wanted to see what it looks like LOL. Aparently, blue screen with letters is the best it can do ;)

I found out today my INI was screwed up. I was getting 20FPS in an area where as a fresh INI, set to max and re-tweaked got me 60FPS. So I'm going back through right now and getting things how I like it.

There was an ATI beta driver called the Chuck Patch which allowed it. Though I do not think they included it in the later additions, they may have but it doesnt woro for me. Ive been playing Oblivion for a while, just started back up a few weeks ago after an extended break. I have a 3870 now, so I have a card that can actually do HDR, but nothing I have tried has allowed AA to work with HDR in this game. If anyone does know how to get this to work please POST IT :D

Last edited:
Back