• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wireless internet problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dAvies.lOcker

Hi

I'm having trouble with getting my laptop to connect to the internet via a Linksys WRT54GL router.

I can connect to the internet with no problem if i connect directly via the LAN port to the cable modem. However, after connecting to the wireless network i can not get any internet connectivity. I have tried setting the router up with the standard security (WPA, SSID disabled etc) and then also just at its basic settings (no encrpytion etc) and the problem remains.

I let XP run a diagnostic on the connection and have attached a word file containing the results. I can't see anything in there that might be causing the problem...but i'm not an ace in this field. Other than that i have tried renewing the IP but i am at a loss...don't know what is up.

ANy ideas/help is, as always greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• networkdiagfile.doc
    157.5 KB · Views: 255
according to the Doc wireless isnt enabled and you havent got hte DNS set either use the DNS that your ISP provives and enable wireless App

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure why wireless is disabled, as i can connect to the router itself. How would i "activate" wireless App and how do i set the DNS manually?

I'm with Virgin Media if that helps.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure why wireless is disabled, as i can connect to the router itself. How would i "activate" wireless App and how do i set the DNS manually?

I'm with Virgin Media if that helps.

You shouldn't have to manually set DNS, your router should assign it when you grab a DHCP address. What kind of laptop is it? You'll need to toggle on your WLAN radio. On newer HP laptops it's a touch-activated switch with a little antenna looking symbol on a strip above the keyboard. Some laptops have an actual switch, some use key combinations.

Once you get the radio turned on all you should have to do is connect to your SSID, DHCP should handle the rest. If you still need to manually assign DNS for some reason:

Right click My Network Places, go to Properties
Right click your wireless network adapter, go to Properties
Select Internet Protocol, click the Properties button
Change radio button to Use the Following DNS servers
Type in the DNS servers given by your ISP. If you don't know them you should be able to log into your router and get them by looking at your WAN config.

plug directly into your router with your ethernet port. If you can get on the web that way through the router then the router is not having issues with the dhcp.

you can also try flushing your dns
from the command prompt

Code:
c:\ipconfig /flushdns

also, if you get connected to your router again try logging into it and see if it is pulling an IP from the internet provider. From your logs it looks like you connect ok to the router but it isnt routing the internet traffic. It could be that it can't resolve the dns or it isnt pulling an ip from the server.

see if you can ping google's server once you can connect to your router again

if you can ping that adress but not get on the internet that means its a dns problem

Back