• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need to record phone calls.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hank123

is there any software out there that i can record INCOMING phone calls with? i would take it that i would need to run it through a modem or something. its for a hard land line.

also would like some kind of software that would record every phone call as soon as the phone was picked up.

any ideas?
thanks.

might want to check into the legality of it also..

As far as legality goes, in most states only one party has to agree to the recording to make it legal. Presumably you agree to it, since you are the one making the recordings. You should have little problems with legal issues.

(Hooray for criminal justice classes.)

http://www.callcorder.com/phone-recording-law-america.htm

Call Corder - phone recording software with Caller ID.
Record your telephone conversations to hard disk

The U.S. federal law allows recording of phone calls and other electronic communications with the consent of at least one party to the call. A majority of the states and territories have adopted wiretapping statutes based on the federal law, although most have also extended the law to cover in-person conversations. 38 states and the D.C. permit recording telephone conversations to which they are a party without informing the other parties that they are doing so.

12 states require, under most circumstances, the consent of all parties to a conversation. Those jurisdictions are California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington.

It is illegal under all jurisdictions to record calls in which one is not a party.

There is one thing I wondered about that law. Is it the point of origin or point of recording?
Pretty much if the caller is located in lets say FL. Does the laws there in that state still protect that persons calls under their laws? I know in online sales, it is where the customer made the PoS from. I am unsure if this goes with communications also.

The only reason I bring this up. Is not to cause an off-topic ramble. It is to make sure the OP understands and fill my curious nature on this.

Using an easy hardware hack, you could use a cheap phone and wire the voice input and output leads going to the mic and earpiece to a couple minijacks which you could plug into a tape recorder, PC, etc. If hooked up to a PC, with certain software, you could make it record once sound is heard.

There is one thing I wondered about that law. Is it the point of origin or point of recording?
Pretty much if the caller is located in lets say FL. Does the laws there in that state still protect that persons calls under their laws? I know in online sales, it is where the customer made the PoS from. I am unsure if this goes with communications also.

The only reason I bring this up. Is not to cause an off-topic ramble. It is to make sure the OP understands and fill my curious nature on this.

i think its where u plan on using the recording .. if you were in FL where it was legal and the other party was in CA and u wanted to use it in CA you couldnt .. but if you wanted to use it in FL u could cause you'd be under their laws .. to the best of my knowledge

FL= 1 party
CA= 2 party

Using an easy hardware hack, you could use a cheap phone and wire the voice input and output leads going to the mic and earpiece to a couple minijacks which you could plug into a tape recorder, PC, etc. If hooked up to a PC, with certain software, you could make it record once sound is heard.

Yup, that basically sounds like how I've done it. There are these audio tap devices you can purchase (the one I've used is called a THAT-2) that plugs in between your handset and telephone, and then the audio tap has RCA jacks that you can run into the line input of your computer. Then just use some software to record the line input to WAV or MP3 for example, it works great. If it's not loud enough you can boost it with a simple mic preamp for not a lot of coin.

i...record INCOMING phone calls with...i would take it that i would need to run it through a modem or something. its for a hard land line.
If conversation (voice two-way) are to be recorded a full duplex voice modem would be required.

the only reason i need to record a phone calls is because its going to go to the attorney general of colorado. when some companies do not want to stop calling and when its the law when u ask them to stop they are going to get what they have coming to them.
sounds like im being a *** im sick of the same place calling over 10+ times a day.

the only reason i need to record a phone calls is because its going to go to the attorney general of colorado. when some companies do not want to stop calling and when its the law when u ask them to stop they are going to get what they have coming to them.
sounds like im being a *** im sick of the same place calling over 10+ times a day.

I had a charity that kept calling me. At first it was fun, even though no matter how many times I told them no and they would not shut up... I would tell them kick rocks. Then I would ask them to sing the pitch, trying to have fun.. Then I just flat out told them if you call again, I am going to sick the law after you.

Want to know the name of the charity... Ohio State Troopers Association. I kept saying, why are the state troopers calling me for money. Doesn't my taxes give enough? The reply was they are not the Ohio State Troopers. I called my State AG and we got them to stop. I did not have to record any calls. I stopped short of getting the contact information and sending a registered letter, demanding they cease calling. Next step would of been an injunction.

There is two things that do not fall under the FCC thing. Charities and companies you have dealings with. You can use your phone records and file an injunction on them to stop. If a letter does not work.

I don't have to deal with this, but collection agencies. this works for any unwanted calls actually. You have to write a letter to them and inform them formally, not to call or contact you (include the contact information). Which entails a public notary and registered mail.

I hope this helps you.

Back