• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My First Build Ever (Many Pics)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OldSkool

Rest In Peace
Before I begin cataloging this adventure, I'd like to thank all of you here at OCF that helped in making this happen. All of your suggestions and patience answering my questions have made this possible.

I have two builds forthcoming at this time, one budget build that will become my brother's once mine is done. This is basically the 2nd rig in my sig and the entirety of the parts are as follows:

Mobo - Abit IP35-E
CPU - E2180
Ram - 2gb Generic DDR2 PC6400(No idea what brand)
GPU - EVGA 8800GT
PSU - Corsair 450W
HD - WD 120gb WD1200AAJS
HS - TRU 120 E

Now to the details:

I have yet to buy 3 parts, the HD, PSU and OS. My 8800GT will be here on Tuesday and I hope to have the rest by early next week. I figure I may as well start this thread now as I know how much we all love seeing even the most basic builds step by step, at least I do.

Ultimately, this build is going to probably end up being a submersion as well, only because my brother loves the idea. Before that time, i'll be replacing the GPU with a lesser one that supports his limited need.

Well i guess it's now time for the pics part:

First the case(Mobo installed)
CIMG1389.jpg
CIMG1390.jpg
CIMG1392.jpg
CIMG1393.jpg

Mobo
CIMG1387.jpg

CPU(installed)
CIMG1400.jpg

Ram(If anyone can tell me about it....)
CIMG1405.jpg

GPU
(Pics to come Tuesday)

TRU 120
1a31_1.jpg

Well there you have it. I'll post pics of the build as I install each part as well as my OC results when I have them. Please feel free to criticize(positive or Negative) and offer up any suggestions or questions. Thank you for looking and helping make this happen.

Last edited:
Ok well while waiting on UPS to delivery my 8800GT this morning i figured I'd at least put up a few wire-management pics. I figure what the heck, get done what I can, here ya go:

CIMG1441.jpg
CIMG1444.jpg
CIMG1446.jpg

The tape at the bottom is only until I get a hot glue gun. And now that I'm looking I should probably clean my Wireless card a bit, lol.

To Iamcanadian - I'll do a full system spec when it's up and running, but from what i hear it's a great budget Oc'er.

To JDXNC: That's awesome, I left mine red to lend a Spider-man look to it, although it is a simple matter to change the color if desired.

Glad to see some interest, i was going to just abandon the thread, didn't seem for a bit that anyone was really cared all that much. I'll update with pics of the GPU tomorrow. It should be up and running in about a week.....hopefully. I still need a HD, OS, and PSU, while paying the bills so we'll see.

Ok well i decided to post tonight after work anyway. Well here goes, my brand new 8800GT 512.......

1.jpg
2.jpg

Isn't she beautiful?
3.jpg

Installed
4.jpg
5.jpg

End of the week ordering a PSU and gonna try for a HDD, we'll see. More to come....

Ok, I just realized something.......I'm an idiot. I went ahead and put all that I have together in the case without realizing one very important thing.......How the h*ll am i going to mount the heatsink >< Oh well, like I said its my first build i'm bound to be a little overanxious I suppose, lol.

yeah, it'll give you the opportunity to put in those missing mouting screws in your mobo as well.

Well, if you have already attached the mounting plate on the back of your mobo, you should be able to install the heatsink with it in the case. If you haven't, then you will have to take the mobo out.

???I WANT!!!! How does one go about getting one of those??
ZOTAC 8800GT(660MHz core 1800MHz mem)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500007

I have the AMP edition of this, it cost me $20 more and it's clocked at 700core-1700shader-2000mem, if you want better then the 8800GT AMP you'd have to go for the 8800GTS AMP from ZOTAC or get an 8800Ultra... or you can initiate MADNESS_MODE and get a 3870X2.

My temps never go above 55c under load... it's a good cooler, definitely the fastest single-slot video card there is.

To Terran2k - What missing screws? All the mounts in the case are used.....

To Mr. Roboto - Unfortunately, I don't have the HS yet so yeah I will have to take it out once i receive the HS and do it all over again, lol

I think mr. roboto is referring to the three empty screw holes on the inside edge of the motherboard, same side as the 24 pin power connector. Looking great so far. keep the pics rolling...

You must position the mounts to match the board.....

not the other way around.

Very much appreciated on the heads up, I didn't realize that those actually moved. I see that now. It's ok then to leave some empty hole on the Mobo as ong as the outermost ones are filled, or am I going to have to get more "nipples" to accommodate the Mobo?

Edit - I made the change tonight so that the fittings are on the outer edge of the board now. It didn't take long.

Last edited:
Yeah, you need to make sure you have the standoffs in the corresponding positions to the screw holes...otherwise your computer will explode...or short out.

Back