• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCI-E vs PCI-E 2.0 on 8800GT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Veratule

Registered
Friend of mine is building a new rig, and I've been helping him through the process. Then he asked me a question that I really have no idea about.

He wants to purchase 2 8800GT's and SLI them. He read somewhere (although hasn't given me a link yet) of someone saying that technology hasn't caught up with the massive amount of data that PCI-E can move, nevertheless PCI-E 2.0, and wants to know if it would be wise to instead purchase a board that only uses PCI-E x16 for his 8800GT s.

How much of a performance hit would my friend take if he SLI'ed on a PCI-E supported mobo rather than a PCI-E 2.0, and is it worth the extra (i believe he said) $80 more to get an X38 since his 8800GTs will be able to utilize it?

I was wondering something similar to this:

If you get a G92 card (PCI express 2.0 16x), but your motherboard is just a regular pci express 16x... what is the "loss" from not having a 2.0 m/b?

Just a few things first.

They are both PCIe 16x, one is 1.0 and the other 2.0, No single card ATM can even be bottlenecked by a x16, maybe the 3870X2, PCIe 2.0 is just if your looking to be more 'future proof'

just like its been said... SLI = NV based board, so 680I with bad ocing for a quad. then that leaves you with 780i which has pcie 2.0 so no worries, if he is.

He's been looking at the 750i mobo. Will it be really solid / highly overclockable with a quad core as well as the other parts mentioned, or should he get a 780i / X38?

From what Ive heard I don't believe there really is a huge drop-off in performance by dropping from PCI 2.0. At least not one worth the extra cash on a new motherboard for.

a XFX/BFG/EVGA one they are all the same....they all use the same bios and nv reference design. the only difference is how the packaging looks.

I know that, but xfx has always been good to me so thats what I always recomend.

my post was a FYI post, it wasnt directed at you. not sure why you took it that way.. there are people that really dont know they are the same...

Back