• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista users: How many services have YOU killed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

=ACID RAIN=

I'm down to 42 processes at boot (jesus whatever happened to win2k days with processes in the teens!), but I didn't go hardcore on this rig since I have to use it for CCNA stuff. Plus I run trillian at boot and a few other "necessary" programs. It's leaving me about 280MB of ram free right now after caching has done its thing, with 2GB total (in sig).

So what about y'all? How much ram do you have, and is vista actually giving you any back after tweaking it?

4GB; running 77 processes; killed none; have 2GB left over. Running multiple instances of MSSQL, IIS, multiple synchronization programs (ftp and internal) and a host of other programs that handle critical server integration processes at startup.

Vista's memory handling capabilities are such that I've yet to max out my RAM, even running an obscene number of serious programs. Keep in mind, however that I'm using 64-bit...

I will have to check when I get home tonight. I used vLight to remove everything from Vista sans Aero and Media Center (Vista Ultimate).

I have killed none and have no problems running anything.

If you want to improve performance though, benchmarks were done at pro-networks and the only service that proved any measureable increase in performance was aero.

Indexing can help boost performacne too, but only in the first 3 days of fresh install after that it has indexed everything.

i use to vlite but now i have sp1 so i had to ditch my vlite untill i get a hold of a vista ultimate x64 sp1 dvd...but i kill w/e services i dont need..this is what i have running
untitlesi4.png

None, my install is mostly stock. 69 processes currently running silky smooth :^)

Around 12 I've killed, currently 58 running. Of those,

Steam Client Services, I don't need it using bandwidth and running when not running Steam.
Windows Error Reporting, never had a need for it. It sometimes errors when error reporting.
Table PC Input Services, no tablet here.
Portable Device Enumerator, no portable devices used.
Offline Files, no need.
ICS, not needed for me.
Diagnostic System Host, diagnoses failures and sometimes fails at it.
Readyboost, I don't use it.
Print Spooler, I have no printer.
Windows Search, I actually like indexing and just enabled it again. Disk thrashing seemed to be caused by AVG when I suspected this.
Server, sometimes I disable when I'm not using the PC for file sharing.

Whether these make an actual perceivable impact on performance is arguable but my philosophy is, more complication, more that can go wrong. As for Server and Remote Desktop and such, if you don't use it and disable it, that's one or two less security holes.

Whether these make an actual perceivable impact on performance is arguable but my philosophy is, more complication, more that can go wrong. As for Server and Remote Desktop and such, if you don't use it and disable it, that's one or two less security holes.

That's pretty much my thinking as well.

I haven't killed much yet
vista ultimate64
no sidebar
no defender
no resident AV
no firewall

but my main machine isn't connected to teh intarweb at the moment (i had been using wireless on my old machine, but my ancient dlink pci G card has no 64 bit driver and I haven't run a wire or bought a new card yet)

wifes lappy runs home premium32
with trillian, IE, Firefox, McAfee system security crap(not just AV but the whole shebang) no windows components disabled, running aero it's sitting at 756megs used

I'm not infront of my box to see what it's doing

Jeff

no firewall, 43processes, 2gigs total, 575mb used.

You didnt disable superfetch did you? 575MB is awfully low...

Superfetch leads to slightly longer boot times (30 seconds) but reduces to application loading times to near nothing.

Outlook in 3 seconds, Photoshop in 7seconds.

If you reboot a lot I suppose it could be worth it, but if you dont restart everyday, then you should leave it enabled :)

What does superfech do?
Windows SuperFetch

A new memory management technology in Windows Vista, Windows SuperFetch, helps keep the computer consistently responsive to your programs by making better use of the computer's RAM. Windows SuperFetch prioritizes the programs you're currently using over background tasks and adapts to the way you work by tracking the programs you use most often and preloading these into memory. With SuperFetch, background tasks still run when the computer is idle. However, when the background task is finished, SuperFetch repopulates system memory with the data you were working with before the background task ran. Now, when you return to your desk, your programs will continue to run as efficiently as they did before you left.

cant wait to legally get a vista x64 ultimate sp1 dvd so i can vlite it i cant wait should be so much faster :D

but i only have 34 processes running atm :) along with the pics i posted above of my services, superfetch enable vista uses about 1.3gb of ram with my normal apps running =]

Back