• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

calling Ripper virus: 4 HDDs 66 floppies 33 DVDs? Any help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamefan

Any partial help is much appreciated. Will a HDD re-format &/or re-setting the RAID0 array &/or re-installing Vista 32-bit OS do it? This Ripper virus (Master Boot Record) so I read enters memory after boot; propogates between HDD & floppy; and is destructive to 1 in 1000 writes. My main concern is how to erradicate this virus on the HDDs; then I'll worry about old floppy data, and new DVDs. Urghh. I would prefer not to re-format this mp3 HDD, I'd prefer to fix it instead, or get all the .mp3 files first, if possible. Also, could this virus be on the DVD RW+ .mp3 disks I made in my prior pc (A-Z disk copies of same files!)?

I just finished installing Vista 32 RF on a brand new pc build. The 2 WD Raptor SATA-1 RAID0 and 80GB IDE ATA HDDs were all used by me before. I don't know where this virus is or where it came from, or when. I installed AVG 7.5 Free anti-virus software. I put a floppy into the A:\ drive of the new pc and did a GUI directory (doc, txt, rtf, xls only) but there was a blue process bar advancing along to top title bar form left to right (unknown process? ) so I yanked the floppy out.

Now when I run an AVG complete system virus scan on my new pc in only 15 seconds of 30 mins
Virus Found Ripper partition Table (MBR) Infected.

Strange, before I could the use two floppies I tried for transfering data they both had to be formatted. They were important floppies I had been using recently Their formats disappeared.

AVG is not vault or fix this Ripper virus. Also it doesn't indicate which HDD or otherwise origin the virus is at. I ran the AVG scan again separately on each of the 3 HDDs (2 virus scans; one is a RAID0 pair), but this Ripper virus only shows up if I do a complete scan of the whole pc, not the two seperate scans alone.

According to a wide-ranging Google-pan a Symantec product may work to kill "Ripper".

Did I get the virus when I first put in the floppy? If it is from a HDD, how to tell which one?

I have about 60 floppy disks. I also have a HDD to be used in the another computer, from which the above mentioned files (doc, rtf, txt, xls) from the floppies to the new pc above came from. I did a complete system scan on that pc and no virus found anywhere. I don't know if this data transfered from this HDD to the floppies gave my new pc HDD(s) the virus. Or if the floppies even have the virus.

I would prefer to not outright lose all ~66 floppies and instead obtain a product to test these floppies before each and any use in the future. Or can I gather all the files on all the floppies to a HDD then kill the virus on the HDD all at once, and somehow walk away with the files and not the virus? That would be best, if neccesary. It would be a good excuse to finally make time to transfer all the data to DVDs (back off the HDD once cleaned). The floppies themselves are cheap. Or if I want the data on the floppies (or any HDDs) do I need to deal with each seperate file individually - to rid the virus? Don't need to tell me how to fix the correctness of the file contents, just how to rid the virus everywhere alltogether.

any links for recommended anti-virus forums, thx.

Last edited:
Back