• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A Little Worried

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Saihossoku

Just a little worried, my Quad while under use or idle for that matter doesn't show more than 2 cores working, I use the sidebar gadget for 4 cores, the other two are aways at zero! Is this normal because the proggies don't yet utilize all cores or is it a glitch? If so, what proggie is best used to monitor core usage across all 4? Thanks.

Does the windows performance utility show the CPU doing 100% when you run prime95?

Yes it does, I noticed at boot up it says: COUNT: 4, I'm assuming that's 4 cores? Also, CPU-Z where it says "Selection", it's greyed out and the other items on the right of that say:

Cores: 2 Threads: 2 ??????? I'm sooo lost.

Oh not that I'm complaining, but I upped the FSB to 400 and a multiplier of 8 or 9 can't remember, what ever the calculation is to get to 3.6GHz, I reached that on air stable for 24 hours now with Prime, that's not the weird thing, I didn't change ANYTHING else in the BIOS! Nothing, just those 2 settings, my idle temp using speedfan is 25C - 28C and my load temps are around 43C - 46C, is that normal? Seems really good to me. Imay be able to push this badboy further? I could have gotten lucky perhaps?

3.6 Ghz on air with stock volts? Hmm, I've never kept volts on auto when clocking so it may be that your board upped the volts automatically and that you have an extra flat chip, heatsink base, and spread your thermal compound extra well.

Check CPUZ and see what your volts are.

It looks like it did up the voltage automatically, but for some reason those temps look a bit low, even with that nice zalman.

What are you using to measure temps?

you got really lucky. I'm on my second quad and still haven't been able to hit 3.6 with less than 1.52v

on the temp note, i use coretemp or HWMonitor (you can get it at the same website as CPU-z) to monitor the temps of each core. "CPU Temp" that a lot of monitoring software shows doesn't mean squatand is often much lower than the internal core temps. What you need to know is that each core is staying below 65 or 70c (depending on how long you want your chip to last). For example, when my cores are at 65-70c, my CPU temp is at 45-50c. I run 24/7 at 3.2-3.4 (I don't like my core temps to break the low 60's).

Last edited:
you got really lucky. I'm on my second quad and still haven't been able to hit 3.6 with less than 1.52v

That's what I'm thinking, a friend of mine hit 3.8GHz can't remember, but he had 6 of these go through his store and none went passed 3.4GHz, hmm, he did smile and say I owe him one, maybe he saved me one from the same batch?

You're only loading 2 cores, and only 2 cores are showing up in CPU-Z. That explains your low temps, but you effectively only have an e6850 right now.

I'm not sure how they do it, but some folks disable cores for benching purposes. Maybe you have inadvertently done the same. Double-check all your BIOS settings to ensure you haven't screwed something up.

oh man! 45c on a quad w/ that kind of OC?! dang! Im running an e6750 at 3ghz right now (burning it in, in stages) And w/ a scythe Mugen im getting 46-47c under load according to speedfan. Although my ambient temperature is probably quite warm.

This cooler wasnt the best but the Zalman i wanted wouldnt fit due to my heatpipe. Somehow the Mugen Monster seemed to just squeeze in though! so i'll take it!

(CPU Heatsinks are getting out of hand!)

oh man! 45c on a quad w/ that kind of OC?! dang! Im running an e6750 at 3ghz right now (burning it in, in stages) And w/ a scythe Mugen im getting 46-47c under load according to speedfan. Although my ambient temperature is probably quite warm.

This cooler wasnt the best but the Zalman i wanted wouldnt fit due to my heatpipe. Somehow the Mugen Monster seemed to just squeeze in though! so i'll take it!

(CPU Heatsinks are getting out of hand!)

Read my post above. He's only loading 2 cores, so his results are not indicative of this HS's performance w/ quad-core CPU's.

Back