• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VID what is it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
From what I understand, it's the stock CPU core voltage. I'm not 100% sure on that though, someone else will probably post here soon with better info than me ;)

EDIT: tester beat me to it :p

that's because changing your Vcore does not change the stock voltage that your chip was meant to run at. VID is the Vcore that intel guarantees your chip to run stable at stock clocks on.

VID = the voltage at which your CPU is guaranteed by Intel to run at stock speed for the duration of its warranty. Changing Vcore does not change your VID, it's set from the factory; you're only changing the voltage going to the CPU.

EDIT - Doh...replied without looking at the previous post. Oh well, consider it reiterated. ;)

I have a question somewhat releated to the OP's question. My e8400 VID shows up as 1.1125v in coretemp but in cpu-z it says i'm running @ 1.168v. I's my motherboard overvolting my cpu?? vCore is set to auto.

Yep. Most MoBo's don't ouput exactly the VID on Auto. And if you OC at all the Auto setting will usually automatically raise your vcore to compensate.

If you want to feed your CPU it's recomended voltage then you need to set it manually, and you may have to go to a slightly higher BIOS vcore setting to get the vcore (as seen in CPU-Z) to equal the VID.

Thanks jason. I'll leave it on auto for now and will manually set it higher when i overclock.

thank for all that.

so with my E6600 having a VID of 1.35 is that 'bad' in any way? when i run it stock 2.4 it jumps between 1.1xxx and 1.3xxx didnt pay to much attention.

atm i have it 333x9 @1.27625 which to me looks like intel got the VID very wrong? its run orthos stable for 7 hours which for me is ample.

No, my Q6600 has a VID of 1.31250 and I could run 3Ghz at 1.28(in CPU-z). it's just the luck of the draw.

hmm is there a rule of thumb then for how high i can go? is VID what i shouldnt top or a % over VID that i could work off?5%?

so for me thats about 1.55 max (VID+15%).

does that mean an e6600 with a VID of 1.1v would not be as safe at 1.55?
1.1+15% or would it still reach that voltage?

so the only way a lower VID helps a CPU is because a lower voltage creats less heat? it would not be wise to inc a CPU vcore to 1.5 if it had a VID of 1.1?

My VID is 1.1125v by Core Temp. That would make my safe voltage 1.279v. Then why many tell me that safe voltage for e8400's is under 1.3625? Is that an avg?

Because we are guesstimating and these haven't been out long enough.

(Because 1.28V doesn't give us 4Ghz is the real reason imo ;))

OK, so how do we know what our "default" VID is supposed to be for our respective chips if they are so different across the board, which seems quite odd I might add?

My Q6600 is a L747A957 - Packed 1/02/08

On the box it says 1.35v max ( I assume that's the same for all the GO's??)

Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4
With everything set to stock my vcore reading in CPU-Z says 1.056 and under full load using Prime it reads 1.152.

My BIOS says the Normal vcore for this cpu is 1.2125 but I have the vcore overvoltage set to NORMAL, which seems to undervolt this chip at stock 2.4GHz - according to the readings I'm getting in CPU-Z.

BIOS says my current vcore is 1.18

Does all this sound normal and how do these readings compare to all the other "variants" of this cpu out there?

Seems a little mucked up if you ask me - seems that a Q6600 should be a Q6600 should be a Q6600 but from what I'm seeing here that's not the case.

Back