• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Torn between 2 processors!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tango1974

Registered
Ok so im looking to just upgrade the processor on my system.

Im still happy with my performance as a whole system but I have come accross 2 processors, pretty cheap and want to know which one I should go for!!!

First I have a Athlon FX53 to use, how overclockable is this, bear in mind this is the cheapest to hand aswell.

Second AMD Opteron 180 Denmark 2.4GHz L2 Cache Skt 939 Dual core.

My other question is will both these processors work with any memory or do you have to upgrade to some expensive EEC ddr memory or will my 2 gig of non eec memory work ok. Also last question are both processors able to overclock? thanks guys n girls ;)

The Opteron is the better choice. They are very overclockable. My 170 did 2.7 gigs very easily at a low voltage.
Your memory will work with that cpu too.

Definitely the Opteron, it will clock just as high if not higher than the FX and you will have another core. It is also a newer core, I think the FX53 lacks SSE3?

I have an Opteron 185. GET THE OPTERON! It will give you lots of joy. I upgraded from a 4200+ and theres no turning back. They run cool and can overclock very high.

Well I went for the opteron and boy I got a deal only £88 brand new ;) I love to haggle!!! Thanks for all your advice guys will be fitting it to my system once I have it in the next few days. I do have a pretty good system already!! Going to sell my 3700 on ebay any offers? :bday:

Great choice! Before you go ahead and yank the 3700 out of the rig, be sure you update to the latest bios. Also download and install the dual core fix from here just so you won't run into any issues ;)

Will it hurt by installing it now? the fix as for the bios im upto the latest beta bios for my board cheers mate ;)

Brand: AMD

Processors Type: Server

Series: Opteron

CPU Socket Type

CPU Socket Type: Socket 939

Tech Spec

Core: Denmark

Multi-Core: Dual-Core

Name Opteron 180

Operating Frequency: 2.4GHz

HT: 1000MHz

L1 Cache 128KB+128KB

L2 Cache 2 x 1MB

Manufacturing Tech 90 nm

64 bit Support Yes

Hyper-Transport Support Yes

Virtualization Technology Support No

Multimedia Instruction MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, 3DNOW! Professional

Voltage 1.30 V/1.35 V

Someone answer me another quick question!!! now the specs say professional??? Whats the difference in terms of speed and will I notice the difference from my old 3700+ AMD which is pretty quick and runs all the top games with my 1950pro card very well. Also how long beofre I have to upgrade again!!!!! Or will the opteron kick arse for a few years more? All these questions dont have to be answered in this order by the way :bang head

All AMD processors after K6-2 have 3DNOW! Professional. See here in my pic of my cpu:

hereek8.jpg

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure 3DNOW is just some kinda physics instructions for the CPU, not that important, you won't see and improvement from that, but you'll have double the core and L2 also more overclockablity.

But ok ill make the question a lot simplier!!!

Will I see a major difference between the 3700 and the opteron processor when I change it????? :drool:

You'll see a major difference if you multi-task and do alot of things at once. Overall you'll feel a difference, definetly worth it.

I cant wait I really cant its like going to give my machine another 2 to 3 years of life!!!!!! and its not as if its slow at the moment I just want to boast to people I have a opteron!!!! :bday::bday::bday::bday:

All AMD processors after K6-2 have 3DNOW! Professional. See here in my pic of my cpu:

hereek8.jpg

Actually, the K6-2/3 had 3DNOW!, The original Athlon brought 3DNOW! Professional, also known as 3DNOW!+

As more apps become multi-threaded, you'll see a better boost in speed. WinRAR for example is now multi-threaded and when compressing an archive dual cores see the times drop nearly in half.

Thats what I wil lsee more of then times cut Nice how about games?

Games should be a breeze as well. Opteron's are pretty top notch if you get one with the best stepping and you get the best bang for the buck for the 939 plateform. I have one of the 3.0+ Optys but it gets to hot when going over my current clock. 3.0 on the Opteron actually scores about the same as a stock Phenom paired with a 8800GT in 3DMark06! Granted my system is overclocked :)

Last edited:
Back