• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't get NX8800GTS to OC levels that others report... advice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kernsb

I have recently done a system upgrade which includes the MSI NX8800GTS-T2D320E-HD OC.

I decided on this card after viewing its performance on the Tom's Hardware benchmark charts and after reading many reviews raving about how overclockable it was.

Some of the varous articles:

nvnews - 628/992 - link
pcstats - 662/1010 - link
tweaktown - 650/1055 - link
hardwarezone - 650/950 - link

After attempting my own overclock on this card, I am unable to producer anywhere near these results.

The maximum stable level I have been able to get is 603/902. Any higher than this and after a small amount of time performing intense 3d operations the screen freezes and then goes black. The rest of the system seems to continue to run, but the graphics shut down. From there the only option is to hard reboot the system.

Am I doing something wrong? Am I missing some critical element to obtain the above speeds?

My process:
• Using RivaTuner 2.07
• I set the fan to run at 100%
• I raise the core by the smallest increment (usually about 3)
• Apply the changes
• Run Crysis and see if the graphics shut down or not (usually after about 10 minutes of play, but sometimes immediate)

Temps reported in the RivaTuner log show that it is not getting that hot at all (only about 55C) but that seems strange to me. I'm wondering if it is continuing to record after Crysis starts or not.

My system specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
DFI INFINITY P965-S
4GB Kingston HyperX DDR2 800
2x Western Digital 160GB 7200RPM - RAID0
MSI NX8800GTS 320M OC (NX8800GTS-T2D320E-HD OC)
Rosewill Stallion 600W PS (RD600N-2DB-SL-BK)
Windows Vista Business 64-Bit

Crysis running at:
1440x900 - Medium settings on all - 2x Aliasing

Can anyone offer suggestions, or tell me if I am missing something in my OC attempts?

:welcome: to OCF!!

Rosewill Stallion 600W PS (RD600N-2DB-SL-BK)

My first suggestion would be to ditch that PSU like now. Rosewills are a pretty crappy PSU. Its probably not even putting out its rated Amperages. They are one of the bottom barrel PSU's. I'd suggest you get a decent PSU like a Corsair HX620W.

The reason its probbably crashing is because that PSU isn't supplying clean power. Also, have you overclocked your CPU any?

Wow, thank for the advice on the PSU! I definately don't want that happening.

You mentioned Corsair, any other brands that you would suggest that are generally reliable?

Have a look at one of the PSU stickies HERE. Solid PSU brands include, but are not limited to Corsair, Enermax, Fortron/Sparkle, PC Power&Cooling, and several others that escape me atm.

Back