• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got the parts, need advice for new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LuckyLyndy

Registered
I have my parts gathered, NOT assembled, but have never done a complete, ground up build, so would appreciate advice, links, etc. on the best procedure.
Parts:
Antec 900 case
PSU Two choices:
Antec Earthwatts 430 or CoolerMaster eXtreme Power 500w?
Motherboard: ABIT IP35-E LGA 775
CPU: Premium Dual Core E2180 LGA775 Retail, but would like to use in replacement, Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro fan, instead of OEM fan.
2 1 GB 240-Pin unbuff Dimm 128X64 DDR2 PC-2
6400 CL4 Crucial RAM
Video:EVGA e-GeForce 6200LE 256MB PCI-Express 16x
Audio card: Hercules Fortissimo II (old card, but don't know if it is worth installing, or using whats on mobo.)
Dual WD 400 GB Sata 300 Caviar 8mg's cache, 7200
Samsung SHS s-203 dvd writer (OEM-no sata cable or drivers included!) Even though Newegg and ChiefValue are sister companies, if I had ordered the same dvd writer from NewEgg, it would have included cable and OEM drivers, probably worth the $7.:(
Monitor is Hanns-G HG216D (Drivers for Vista, but not XP) someone
said it works just fine for XP as well
Plan to use my XP Pro
Would also like to OC this chip, and have not the slightest idea on how to do that.
Not a gamer, so I didn't need a high end card, but do like watching video files (anime) and converting mkv files to avi (why is that made so difficult!)
Currently on Comcast high speed connection.
Thanks to Garo (g0dM@n) and others for sending me to this forum.
Lyndon

Last edited:
Take your time.

Do you have any thermal paste? If not, order some arctic silver 5 from www.svc.com
You can still build, just use the cheap stuff they give ya....when your AS5 gets in apply that.

Take your time.

Well, unpack everything, install the MB in the case, put in the CPU, attach the HSF, put in the RAM.

Take your time.

Put the HDD in place and opticals, then video card, sound card, and lastly PSU.

Take your time, don't rush.

Run the PSU wires, make sure everything has power.

Check again, make sure everything has power. connect the SATA drives...if you don't have a sata cable for the HDD and optical your stuck till you get it.

then run it up.

Take your time, if something doesn't work check the obvious (is it plugged in in the back?, did I connect the 12v 8 pin plug into the mobo?...etc)

Thanks, AJ. I do have the thermal paste. Off topic question: Installed a secondary slave HD to my old computer. Works fine, but when I plug my thumbdrive in, it is recognized at first as separate. When I try to transfer files from slave drive or master to thumbdrive, it won't work. Then when I explore, thumbdrive is listed as subheading under the slave drive, and it is listed as full when there is plenty of space left. Sure don't know where to list this problem.
Lyndon
Which PSU supply do you recommend? The Antec 430 or Coolermaster 500?

Last edited:
No help, besides A.J.? Just too boring of a build? 37 views, and not a soul to suggest how to flash a newer bios for the mobo? Could use some advice, guys.
Lyndon

Don't yous the cooler master, the antec is better. put cpu and ram before board goes in, it makes things alot easyer. Get a better video card, my x1650 does crysis on low settings and its only $60.

Last edited:
I'm not real sure what you are asking. I can't even figure out if you have ordered the parts yet, received them, or put them together. You show you have choices open but your first sentence says you've assembled it.

I have the Antec Earthwatts 500 and it's been good for me. For a budget build and since your aren't going to need much power I would go with this:

Thermaltake 430W - $29.99

I know you aren't going to game but I would seriously consider changing the video card otu for something like an 8500GT, 8600GT, HD3650, or 2600XT. They can all be had for under $100. They aren't great cards but they are going to be much better than the 6200LE. Consider this for your future, if you ever do play a game these will be capable of handling stuff at lower resolutions where that 6200LE isn't going to do much. Some of these can be had for as little as $50 after rebate on Newegg. Vista will not be happy with that 6200LE if you upgrade later.

8500GT - $49.99

I have both the power supplies, but will go with the Antec, as your suggestions.
There was a deal on a better vid card at b*y.com, but it may be over. Those deals come and go. I bought this card as a stopgap measure. Yes, I have all the parts but have not done ANY assembly. But I am wondering if I have to order some more cables for the Samsung SH-S203 dvd writer, as it came bare OEM. The mobo came with two extra sata cables. Don't I need a sata power connector cable? Thanks, guys, I appreciate it.
Lyndon

Thanks, cabose
Looking at this vid card:
XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX Zalman Edition for $60
Is that equal to the card Li'l Buddy referred to above?
8500GT - $49.99
ZOTAC ZT-85TEH2P-FSR GeForce 8500GT 512MB Can't find any reviews on it.
Both prices are after rebates.

Yeah, 8600GT is much better than the 8500GT. If you can spend $60 on the card I'd go for it. But really if you already have the 6200LE don't bother until you really need a new card. But, the 8600GT is going to be much better than the one you have. I thought you didn't have a card yet.

Yeah, 8600GT is much better than the 8500GT. If you can spend $60 on the card I'd go for it. But really if you already have the 6200LE don't bother until you really need a new card. But, the 8600GT is going to be much better than the one you have. I thought you didn't have a card yet.

I do have that 6200LE, and of all the junk mail B*ydotcom sends me, I didn't get the $20 off of $80 email that many people got, so I am going to sit tight for right now. Thanks LilBuddy.
Lyndon

Alright, guys, close to finishing. Have some questions. I get the message when I boot up that CPU failed, but it then continues to boot up? What's up with that?
Also, I would appreciate some links to how to overclock this E2180, the settings I should put on fans, etc. And how to run the programs to see if it is stable.
Thanks!
Man, that LED show on the Crucial memory is like an old arcade!

google:
"orthos"
Run that stock for a while...24 hours is what I do. Have a temp monitoring program (pretty sure Abit has one they include with the CD)...then start upping the FSB and checking for stability with orthos (if it crashes, up the voltage slightly and try again)...if it passes move up. What's passing? well in the first stages of OCing I ramp up quickly...testing only 10 minutes until I start to see what type of temps, voltages, and clock speeds I'm getting. It's an art and you just have to learn by doing it.

*edit* for fans and everything, put them on the level your comfortable with and leave them be...Some people can stand having 5 60db deltas screaming in their cases, others hate it when they hear a single 30db fan...it's up to you.

Did you go in the bios and set it all up? Usually if you don't go into the bios it will show that at first but keep booting after pressing a button.

Yes, got rid of that, but now trying to find the best thread on oc'ing this chip.
Do I need to download Prime95?
I have it at 2.4, and I upped the voltage.
Read in the mobo buying thread that people are not too happy with the ABEQ program.

Well, I'm just running at the 2.4, and was busy downloading basic stuff.
But this setup is pretty sweet for my first build. I want to thank you guys for the help.
I do have a question: On the link below, the poster has a spreadsheet with his values for OC this chip and mobo.
http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/239759-e2180-motherboards-quick-review.html
Should I be wary of trying those numbers?
Also, is Prime95 the right program I should download to monitor this board?
Thanks.
Sorry for poor photo. I need a tripod and no flash to get the color arcade look.
Lyndon

Attachments

• Photos 054Small.jpg
    Photos 054Small.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 346
Intel Price vs. performance on 2180 and 6750

I have been so busy with work that I have not been able to tweak this new computer at all, really. But just got an email from a friend, who has upgrade fever.
My question to you guys is: is this new chip worth it over my chip in terms of real performance.
This is a brand new Core 2 Duo e6750 CPU with 4mb cache and 1333 bus.
Vs. the E2180? These e6750's are cropping up now with a price of around $150.

Thanks,
Lyndon

Back