• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help, Main PC stops working but ICS and everything continues to work

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mepis

I need some help to diagnose a problem I have had for a little while. I am running windows vista home. I am connected via a wireless card to a neighbors router for an internet connection. This PC is set up with ICS to distribute the connection through the rest of the house. I also have other things set to share such as folders and printers. The PC is then in turn connected to a wireless router in my house as an AP. The wireless router has NAT and DHCP turned up. The vista computer handles all of that. The vista computer also has IP6 and QOS turned off while I was in the process of diagnosing the problem.

The problem is after so long that the vista computer will not let firefox, opera, nor internet explorer browse the web. I am still able to ping the outside world like google, yahoo and the likes with out a problem. Packets are getting through to the outside world. The rest of the computers in the house can also surf just fine, including the browser on my xbox, a laptop, and my ipaq. Everything else works fine. I can even FTP sites to the outside world through the vista computer. Browsing just stops.

As I said I disabled NAT, DHCP and other various things on my wireless router. At the moment it functions as an AP only. I have also disabled IP6 and QOS on the vista computer. I have tried clearing DNS cache and web cache as well as temporary files. I have done other things in the process of trying to make it work too. It still happens though. Every other computer can still surf via ICS without a problem though and I can still access the outside world via ftp and pinging.

Anyone have any idea on what to do or what's causing this?

System specs:
Asus k8n Nforce 3 and nforce 3 nic
Sempron 3100+ 64
radeon 9200
1 gig ram
400 watt supply
sata 120 gig WD drive

Router: A/B/G Dlink, never had problem with router. Tried taking this out of the equation with direct wireless connections between laptop and PC without router in use and it still does the same thing.

Also just letting the computer sit for x amount of time does not help. The only solution I have found is to restart.

It's an old system, have you checked the capacitors on the motherboard around the CPU socket? I have seen similar behavior on boards with bad caps.

It's an old system, have you checked the capacitors on the motherboard around the CPU socket? I have seen similar behavior on boards with bad caps.

Everything looks good there. Thanks for the suggestion.

Back