• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is it possible

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't think the clients would run because of the difference between a CPU and the the Cell processor that the PS3 uses. Stanford (EDIT Sony) made the PS3 client specifically to run on the PS3. So its custom made so to speak to take advantage of what the PS3 has to offer.

It would require them to make another client for the PS3 less productive...which of course wouldn't make sense.

An example of this is that there are separate clients for just the OS's and they use the same CPU's in most cases. If they could make one client that ran on every OS and every type of processor they would. It just is not that easy.

They are getting closer tho.. The Linux client just needs a flag to tell it whether to run SMP or regular client. So maybe in the future there will be Universal clients.

This is just my understanding of it ...I don't own a PS3.

Last edited:
You could do it. The Cell processor has a PowerPC cpu as a front end "manager", so it could fold on that, in Linux. May need some mod's to do it, though.

Problem is, now you've got an obsolete cpu folding just a single core FAH client, at slow speed. :cry:

You don't want that. It's the highly integrated risc chips that come after the PowerPC cpu, that make the Cell Processor so dang fast.

It was Sony that wrote the FAH client for the PS3, btw. Stanford just handles the server side of it. It's not easy to write good code for the Cell.

I had brought this thought up a while ago. Here is what turned up. The cell processor is so much different than a normal dual or quad core CPU, that SMP would not work on it. I haven't tried anything beyond that point. Sony writes the client for the PS3, Stanford only handles the WU servers.

Back