• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCIE Bus Speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Saihossoku

What should it be set at?? Currently I'm running my chip at 400x9 @ 3.61GHz, my Vcore is set at 1.45v and my RAM is set to 2.1v. But I left my PCIE bus speed stock (100MHz), should I leave it? Or will I notice any problems if I don't raise it? Thanks.

No real reason to raise it, not much performance gain unless you are benchmarking. If you go too high, you risk corrupting your drive.

Safest that I would suggest is 110.

From what i've read, there isn't a noticable boast in performance by raising the Pci-E Bus speed. But if you want to, you can try raising to 110Mhz and run some benchmarks to compare with 100Mhz.

EDIT: You beat me to it, thideras. LoL.

IMO 110 MHz is way too high for the PCI-E bus frequency. Not only do you risk data corruption (especially when the HDD(s) are connected to the onboard Intel ICHxR controller), but also the possibility of frying your video card... which is what happened to my last 8800 GTS, w/ the bus at only 105 MHz.

although i cant dispute direct evidence like the frying of the previous posters video card hdd corruption usually happens after 115 and only if the hdd are on the pci-e channel, they are on most mobos but not all. Usually the hdds are the limiting factor in pci-e overclocking. That being said I agree with all the other posters in that there really isnt much of a reason to overclock pci-e to begin with.

IMO 110 MHz is way too high for the PCI-E bus frequency. Not only do you risk data corruption (especially when the HDD(s) are connected to the onboard Intel ICHxR controller), but also the possibility of frying your video card... which is what happened to my last 8800 GTS, w/ the bus at only 105 MHz.

Every motherboard and hard drive is different so you can't use a blanket statement like 110MHz is too high, even if it is just your opinion. Mine runs at 110MHz 24/7 and has been for over year with no data corruption and this is using an Abit IP35 Pro motherboard with 74GB Raptor main hard drive with a 320GB Maxtor secondary hard drive, both using SATA.

I recently built a PC for my brother and using an IP35-E and it would lock up at any setting above 100MHz in any 3DMARK bench. As I said, it just depends on the motherboard and the hard drives being used.

There's a nice boost to 3DMARK scores though going from 100MHz t0 110MHz. I've even ran mine as high as 115MHz but my secondary hard drive would lock up whenever I would transfer data from it to the main hard drive. No corruption of data, just locked up the PC so I backed it down to 110MHz for daily use.

Back