• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xtreme Audio or Gamer for best quality music playback, game audio and TV audio?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anubis_386

I'm looking for a soundcard to improve audio quality in music playback, game audio and TV audio through my TV card.. I've got a Logitech Z-5400 5.1 digital speaker set, which can output both through optical or standard 3.5mm jacks ..

I can get Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi cards in OEM for pretty cheap but then which card would be best ... The Xtreme Audio or Xtreme Gamer card? And both are availible in either PCI or PCI-E .. Are there any benifits in PCI-E or PCI for soundcards?

So what'cha think guys??

Cheers :beer:

Never go for the X-Audio!!!

The X-Audio bears the X-Fi label, yet it doesn't have the true X-Fi DSP, but a "relabeled" Live24! DSP (CA0106 and yes, the chip on the X-Audio has a freakin' sticker on it.).

The X-Gamer is the lowest of the X-Fi line with a REAL X-Fi DSP (EMU20K1) and it replaces the X-Music, which is discontinued.

So if you really want to go X-Fi, go at least for the X-Gamer.

If you want the top-of-the-line sound card for either gaming and multimedia purposes i would recommend the Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1.

As for the PCI and PCI-e question: Only the X-Audio is available in both PCI and PCI-e and the rest only PCI, which is lame. Why only using your absolute low end crap card to utilize the PCI-e bus? A PCI-e Elite Pro would be nice. Would save another PCI slot and no latency (for some) issues.

Back