• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800GT won't oc well

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drinkyoghurt

Hi guys

I am a bit frustrated atm, my 8800GT refuses to do a good oc

at first I couldn't get over 680/990 no matter how hard I tried, now with the 1.1v vmod I still only get around 725/990(I am only looking on upping core) and shaders linked, with that it craps out too, with shaders @ 1728 it doesn't crap out fast in atitool

now I see other people getting 700 on their cores stock and are hitting 758 ~ 775 on their cores with the vmod, now am I doing something wrong here or is this card a complete dud :confused:

I have almost everything cooled, even the back chip, now strangly, I notice that it starts artefacting in atitool when it hits 42c...not any sooner, but it did do fine with 80/90c before so it can't be the temps

It's cooled with a Accelero S1 btw..

I'd say luck of the draw as well, I got mine to what's in my sig stock volts with a BFG OC card after hearing that some of their OC cards are actually hand picked (who knows if they really are or not) to be good clockers.

Whereas a guy who I work with who has the same exact card can't get it to not error out over 720 on the core.

Mine is about the same as yours.. Not much luck hitting 700 on stock volts. I haven't mucked with unlinking the shaders and trying for higher on those either. The clocks in my sig are as far as I got. Personally, I didn't expect much, because from what I hear, EVGA bins the cards as they come in from the manufacturer, and charges more for the ones that clock better. Looking at Jetway's site, they don't seem to sell OC'd versions, so like with PNY, it's a total crapshoot as to whether your card clocks good or not...

One thing I thought was funny on Jetway's page is this: http://www.jetway.com.tw/jw/vgacard_view.asp?productid=457&proname=N88GT-EN-2GM-A

Yep, it's an 8800GT with 2GB of memory.. That gets my 'WTF of the day' award :beer:

I was disappointed in my oc's too. I kept reading about these enormous oc's and figured I would get the same results, or at least close, but that wasn't the case.

it tests alot of clocks well till about 15 minutes, after which it gives small yellow dots(artifacts)

I am running atitool 742/1782/999 and it's going for 6 minutes, I hope this clock holds up..

edit: crapped out after 9 minutes, would be good for benching though.

Last edited:
Your clocks are about right. I think my first card only went to 721/1728/??? w/ the 1.1v BIOS mod. The 2nd card went a little higher 740/1782/???. Those folks posting much higher clocks than that either have a non-reference design w/ 3-phase power or higher vGPU, they are posting bench clocks, or they are just lying.

You can always volt-mod that card and get some clocks you can brag about!

Just depends on luck of the draw. I had two GTs one did 756/1836/975 on 1.1 and the 2nd one only 725/1790/960 and just 1 mhz over on any slider would cause artifacts. The first one got bricked with a voltmod and the 2nd one is alive and kicking at 830/2025/1056 on 1.35 idle 1.4 load.

Your clocks are about right. I think my first card only went to 721/1728/??? w/ the 1.1v BIOS mod. The 2nd card went a little higher 740/1782/???. Those folks posting much higher clocks than that either have a non-reference design w/ 3-phase power or higher vGPU, they are posting bench clocks, or they are just lying.

You can always volt-mod that card and get some clocks you can brag about!

voltmodding is not in my budget :p

got it stable @ 734/1728/xxx ...now I've got to see how much I can go on the ram

if I increase the core 1mhz, it will jump to 756 mhz and that's just too much for it I guess..

Back