• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

F@H vs. Prime and temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pejsaboy

I just got my WinSMP client running [yay me!] and have been watching CoreTemp for the few minutes that it's been working so far. At the moment, my temps are sitting in the low 50's, whereas Prime would have them in the mid to upper 50's at about the same time period. With prime and my current ambient temp range of 20-22c, I never go above 60 even at the warmest part of the day.

I'm not sure if anyone has really paid attention between the two programs, but I was curious if F@H would run my chip as hot as Prime95 does. I'm not worried about it today specifically, but as the weather starts to warm up I'll have to reduce my overclock some if I haven't been able to pickup an aftermarket heatsink.

I was curious if F@H would run my chip as hot as Prime95 does

As you've noticed folding temps will generally be lower than prime testing. By how much varies with equipment, ambient temps etc.

Just don't confuse lower temps with "Folding" being any less stressful on the equipment.

Oh no, I've read plenty of times that such and such was prime stable for so many hours, but F@H brought it right down :) Glad to hear that it will be cooler to some extent... prime is pretty harsh.

Especially Small FFTs = H-O-T... Prime Blend is more indicative of what you'll see while Folding, but Folding temps are still generally a little less.

I always use Prime for heat stressing my CPU, FAH just does not bring the temps up as high.

I was always under the impression that running Dual Orthos would be the closest to the stress that folding puts on the CPU. I thought it would be almost identical as far as temperatures go. I haven't really used much more than that and StressCPU for checking system and temp stability.

Back