• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a used 20"+ crt give me recomendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BossBorot

Ok so here is my situation; I already have a great monitor but need another one for one of my secondary computers and dont want to spend much. I can handle the size heat etc negatives of a crt in this situation but dont really know the model numbers of popular 20"+ crts out there besides the 24" fw900 which I cant afford in this case even used.

I dont need links or anything to where to get one as I plan on getting through craigs I just want to know whats good out there. BTW flat screen is a big plus.

craigslist.... bout the best place

got my 21inch Sony Trinitron E540 for 40 bucks of my local craigslist ... the person was 5 miles away from my house.

I would recommend just about any trinitron based 21incher... preffrebley sony. (WOW todally spelt that wrong)

+1

Trinitrons. Though not necessarily Sony branded... I know Dell used rebadged Sonys, and prolly a few other OEMs did as well. Mitsubishi Diamondtrons are pretty decent as well, though I seem to remember them being a bit behind the Sony-made monitors as far as reliability goes.

The Viewsonic Professional series is worth a look as well, although they're not flat-screen. Excellent picture quality, BNC inputs, they'll do really high res (1920x1440@75hz on my P815), and they seem to be quite reliable (the 2 that I have are 11 years old now, still going strong).

I was looking more for specfic model names as sony and their allies released so many monitors back in the day. Right now under $50 i can get any of the following:

Sun Multisync 21" Trinitron (Sony) Monitor - Model 20E20
21" Sony Trinitron GDM (Multiscan) 500PS
Nokia 445PRO (21" trinitron)
21" 'Dell' Flat CRT trinitron Ultrascan P1110
SUN (Sony) 21" FD TRINITRON MONITOR GDM-5410
NEC MultiSync FE1250 (22") (not a trinitron)

does anyone recongise any of these as better then any other or where all 21" relatively similar?

right now im leaning more towards the dell p1110 or the NEC fe1250 mostly due to both of them being flat and having nice bezels :)

Last edited:
I'd say the main selling point should be the condition.
If you have a laptop with VGA out, take it with you to test the monitor to make sure everything lines up.
I've got an old monitor (circa 1995) and the screen wavers like hell.
The CRT I got from Goodwill for $7 was in better shape.

good point ill be sure to do that. the thought completely slipped my mind even though Ive bought monitors locally before

condition + age
You can usually tell how old/heavily used a CRT is because you will hear capacitor squeel when they are far into their life. < Don't get this confused with a cold CRT warming up when it's turned on

Any of those monitors you listed would be a good bet if they're in good condition, as they're all pretty similar. (And that's exactly nobody gave you specific model numbers to look for... there are so many different ones and there's not a lot of difference between many of 'em.)

Only caveat I see is on that 20E20 Sun, make sure it's one that has the VGA connector and not just the Sun proprietary one.

IBM p275 on craigslist 21 inch monitor with dvi

DVI on a CRT? That's kinda pointless.

Back