• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

building first PC, need advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Venorize

Registered
Alright, I've gotten to the point where I'm fairly confident I can build my own PC now without help (in the past i've always had neighbors help and such, and just upgraded parts from there - but now my old computer's MB is incompatible with most of the new hardware coming out, even with bios updates and such).

I've been surfing newegg and picking out what I want, but my biggest fear is that I'm going to end up getting something that is not compatible or doesn't work together. I've researched all the things I'm looking for to building my computer, but if anyone could give me any advice or tell me if i've picked incompatible hardware, I'd appreciate the tips/help.

I'm not only doing this as a learning experience, but to build myself a new computer that will run better than the old and slower one I have.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Case: RAIDMAX Smilodon Extreme Black ATX-612WEB SECC STEEL ATX Mid Tower
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156078
Concerns: Will the motherboards I picked fit in this case?

Unsure of which motherboard I might go with, I found two choices I'm considering, depending on compatibility and speed.

Motherboard Choice 1: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131013

Motherboard Choice 2: GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI Micro ATX AMD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128056

RAM: Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134046

Video Card: EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130317

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103773

Power Supply: I currently have a 550W power supply I planned on using, but I have great feeling that it won't be enough, in which case I might consider buying a 700W or greater.

I would appreciate any help, advice, tips, or information anyone might have about the parts I picked.

Also i am having trouble picking out a sound card because I don't know much about them. I just need a basic sound card, capable of being able to play mp3s, sounds from games and programs, and microphone/speaker abilities for use of Chatter programs like ventrilo or teamspeak.

I know I'm asking for a lot of help, but this being my first fully custom PC, I fear ending up with my money wasted and a computer that doesn't work.

Do you plan on Overclocking?
Are you hoping for future SLI capabilities?
What is your overal budget?

Let me know and I'll be happy to make suggestions and walk you through any questions you might have.

I already own the graphics card and processor, I need a motherboard to support them and new motherboard, sound card, ram, and HD to go with the new MB.

I have a fair budget, but I'm really attempting not to spend more than $500 on the new motherboard, sound card,, ram, and HD in total.

Overclocking isn't a huge concern, but I might clock up a bit to keep up with the times.

As far as future SLI capabilities, im not sure because I'm not very familiar with them nor know how important it might be in the future... Do you recommend I consider it?

I mainly use the PC for graphics design, web designs, and full screen games such as world of wacraft, starcraft, battlefield, call of duty, so on... So I just need a fairly fast computer that is able to multitask, and run the programs and games I want without having to turn down all the graphic settings to their lowest amounts juts to be able to use them.

Last edited:
Venorize,

Case: I recommend the Cooler master Centurion 534 as I have used it in many similar builds and it is a high quality budget case that is sturdy, quiet and cools well (unless of course you prefer or already own the raidmax).

Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131172 that should suit your needs fine.

Memory:These modules are great for your budget --> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145034
I have used them in a few builds and they work well.

Sound: Consider using Onboard sound for now. Dedicated cards generally do produce higher quality sound with more options as well as taking off some CPU load, but their price/performance ratio is nominal unles you have really sensitive ears.

HDD: How much data do you tend to store? I have worked extensively with many large programs and not had problems with keeping my 120GB HDD below the 3/4 mark. Unless you know that you require more space, a 250GB or 320GB Western Digital 7200rpm Sata 3.0Gb/s is always a great place to start. Other manufacturer's models will work fine as well. In most cases I recommend upgrading to the 16mb Cache.

I asked whether or not you were considering SLI, because you chose an SLI capable board. I don't particulalry think that your needs warrant SLI and it is only one more thing that you need to worry about/ spend a lot more money on.

As for overclocking, if you don't intend to overclock from the beginning then wait until your system needs a boost later on in its life before upping the frequency.

Your video card and processor should work great.

Hope this helps

Well i think you made a pretty poor choice already with the AMD processor. But what is done is done.

A sound card is not necessary for your basic sound needs. Your motherboard will definitely come with a more than sufficient onboard sound chip. Your RAM looks fine, though you may want to get a 2 x 2GB kit considering how cheap they are nowadays.

As far as the HDD goes, that depends on how much space you need. I suggest one of the new Western Digital drives. They are quiet, efficient, speedy, and priced competitively..what more can you ask for?

EDIT: I just looked at your list. DO NOT GET THAT VIDEO CARD! Get a new G92 core 8800GTS or even an 8800GT. Either will be a much better buy than that last generation 8800GTS. Also, what is your power supply? 550W does not tell us nearly enough information. I suggest a high quality power supply for your new build; Corsair is a great choice here.

As far as the HDD goes, that depends on how much space you need. I suggest one of the new Western Digital drives. They are quiet, efficient, speedy, and priced competitively..what more can you ask for?

You forgot to mention that they're one of only 2 companies to offer a full 5 year warranty on most of their drives ;) .

Venorize,

HDD: How much data do you tend to store? I have worked extensively with many large programs and not had problems with keeping my 120GB HDD below the 3/4 mark. Unless you know that you require more space, a 250GB or 320GB Western Digital 7200rpm Sata 3.0Gb/s is always a great place to start. Other manufacturer's models will work fine as well. In most cases I recommend upgrading to the 16mb Cache.

More-so I need a faster HD than a high cap. one. I have 3 desktop external HDs on my desk that store all the heavy files I need them too. The internal HD for is basically just for;
- OS
- Instillations (games, programs and such)
- Basic Programs and few files.

My current one is 320 western digital, however it's an ATA drive and i was recommended to go to sata, which im trying to do with the new system.

[/QUOTE]

Well i think you made a pretty poor choice already with the AMD processor. But what is done is done.

A sound card is not necessary for your basic sound needs. Your motherboard will definitely come with a more than sufficient onboard sound chip. Your RAM looks fine, though you may want to get a 2 x 2GB kit considering how cheap they are nowadays.

EDIT: I just looked at your list. DO NOT GET THAT VIDEO CARD! Get a new G92 core 8800GTS or even an 8800GT. Either will be a much better buy than that last generation 8800GTS. Also, what is your power supply? 550W does not tell us nearly enough information. I suggest a high quality power supply for your new build; Corsair is a great choice here.

technically speaking, I've still got time to RMA return the graphic card, the processor though is only RMA to repair/replace, but for the price it was at, it seemed good to me. Could you say what you think was so bad about it? I assume your comparing it to something else I could have gotten.

Also, for power supply, I'm probably just going to get a new one, that way i can completely leave my old PC in-tact for future use or messing around.

I know I should have researched it more but I've got these gut reactions to just go out and buy buy buy and go faster, better, constantly, without considering all my options. Old habits die hard... I'm looking into some of the suggestions everyone else has given me and appreciate all the help.

Good to know.

The only real advantages to upgrading a drive to sata 3.0Gb/s over your Pata drive are the convenience of pluggin it in and the easier to manage thin cables. The bandwidth of the Pata is large enough for most drives at the moment so I see no reason why you should try and justify spending another $70 when you have a perfectly good 320GB WD already. If you didn't have a hard-drive already then I would say go with Sata hands down, but you do so theres really no need (no real world speed advantages).

You could go with a raptor. The main advantages are boot-up, load and access time decreases, but they are noisey and expensive. If you do decide to purchase a raptor then I would put it in a silencing enclosure such as the one made by logysys (unless the noise won't bother you). Also, if you do decide on a raptor I would still load your 320GB WD into the case unless you have another PC that needs it.

Edit: Your system should be fine with the processor that you have as it is a great budget processor that should suit your needs without any issues. I'm actually working on a build with a 5000+ in it at the moment and it's a great processor for the price. Mind you it's matched with an 8600GT and not an 8800GTS, you should be fine with what you have. It will just cost you more money than it's worth to send back the parts you have anyhow.

I second the Corsair PSU motion. The 550VXWatt or 520HXWatt should work fine (the hx is modular). Also, a Thermaltake 550Watt modular is a nice choice as well

Last edited:
More-so I need a faster HD than a high cap. one.
Lucky for you, the Western Digital AAKS drives are extremely quiet, FAST, and offer a great gb:price ratio.
This drive will serve you nicely: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136074
They also have larger capacity models for not much more money if you decide you need it.

technically speaking, I've still got time to RMA return the graphic card, the processor though is only RMA to repair/replace, but for the price it was at, it seemed good to me. Could you say what you think was so bad about it? I assume your comparing it to something else I could have gotten.

Also, for power supply, I'm probably just going to get a new one, that way i can completely leave my old PC in-tact for future use or messing around.
Definitely return the graphics card. Like you said, you made a poor decision buying that card without first doing research. Trade it in for a card with the new G92 core.

Make sure you get a reputable power supply. Look into companies like Corsair, Seasonic, Silverstone, PCP&C and buy the best you can afford.

The CPU isn't bad but Intel is what to get right now. Give me any AM2 CPU + AM2 mobo combo and I can offer you a higher performing Intel alternative that is of equal cost.

ancalime,

I made the assumption that GTS he purchased was a G92 card. Good catch. That would be worth the cash to ship it back to your vendor and swap it for a (cheaper/faster) 8800GT or (more expensive/faster) GTS using the G92 chips.

EVGA has a 90 day step up program. As for the BFG, no step up but for that price I would buy that one. Its a little faster too. They are both quality cards.

Okay, the old graphics card is RMA and i should be refunded in the next week.

Tomorrow after work I'll post a new updated list in this topic of the new hardware selection for my new computer and make sure its all good to go before i buy anything.

Thanks so much for the help guys, I was never expecting this much response on the first day, I really appreciate it.

Happy to have helped!

Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions or I don't catch your post and good luck with the system :).

Power supply ideas, please give advice; (i included the # of cables)

Power Supply 1: APEVIA ATX-LCD750W ATX12V / EPS12V 750W Power Supply 115/ 230 V CB IEC 950/ TUV EN 60950/ UL 1950/ CSA 950
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148034
Point of interest: Temp control display, amazing look, fan control
Cables:
1 x Main connector (20+4Pin)
1 x 12V(4/8Pin)
8 x peripheral
4 x SATA
2 x Floppy
2 x PCI-E

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Power Supply 2: XION Supernova XON-600F14R-201 ATX12V 600W Power Supply 115/230 V cUL, CE, FCC, CB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817190012
Point of interest: Disconnectable cables that are not in use, keeping case clutter-free.
Cables:
1 x 12V(P4)
1 x 12V(8Pin)
9 x peripheral
4 x SATA
1 x Floppy
2 x PCI-E

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Power Supply 3: Antec NeoPower 650 Blue ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371010
Point of interest: its antec? their reputation on strong and long lasting power supplies is well known. but no special things.
Cables:
1 x 12V(P4)
1 x 12V(8Pin)
6 x peripheral
4 x SATA
2 x Floppy
2 x PCI-E

Back