• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Scorpio 320gig WD Laptop 5400rpm drive for desktop use

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

quadcore86

My case has a pluggable 2.5" enclosure drive slot which actually takes a 2.5" SATA drive and convert it to USB when plugged in (it's the B-ENVI case).

So after conversion, what speeds can I expect? USB 2.0 translates to 480Mbps but there is some overhead involved and considering the drive is 5400rpm, what kind of speeds can I expect?

P.S: I'm going to mainly use this drive for my college files and some ITunes. Maybe for some programming as well.

Can't you just hook up the drive with a sata cable? If so it would do better than USB.

Can't you just hook up the drive with a sata cable? If so it would do better than USB.

I could use ESATA since the mobo has ESATA ports HOWEVER, I'd like to use the Case's "features"...it just looks cooler. What is the transfer rates I can get with the drive above in USB mode?

I wouldn't expect much at all, USB isn't great transfer wise, I would reccomend eSATA anyday :p

I wouldn't expect much at all, USB isn't great transfer wise, I would reccomend eSATA anyday :p

Yes, but in terms of numbers...what are we expecting? 48MB/s? At least 50MB/s? (50mb/s is very acceptable).

I know a couple of months ago, I plugged in a Seagate 500gig and got like 20MB/s on USB 2.0 LOL

Yes, but in terms of numbers...what are we expecting? 48MB/s? At least 50MB/s? (50mb/s is very acceptable).
Do you mean for USB? 17-22 MB/sec max. eSATA is whatever speed your internal drives are, basically limited to the drive speed.

Do you mean for USB? 17-22 MB/sec max. eSATA is whatever speed your internal drives are, basically limited to the drive speed.

USB 2.0. I don't understand how it can be 17-22MB/sec when USB 2.0 interface is rated at 480MBps which is 48MB/s and that would mean a net difference of at least 25MB/s.....how can there be 25MB/s of overhead?!?!?!

Also, my mobo? has the ICH9R chipset....are the SATA ports hotswappable while the comp is on? (I tried it with my old gigabyte mobo and it was hotswappble)

USB 2.0. I don't understand how it can be 17-22MB/sec when USB 2.0 interface is rated at 480MBps which is 48MB/s and that would mean a net difference of at least 25MB/s.....how can there be 25MB/s of overhead?!?!?!
You math is incorrect, it is 60mb/sec theoretical speed. Just because the speedometer goes to 200 doesn't mean the car can actually do it ;)

Also, my mobo? has the ICH9R chipset....are the SATA ports hotswappable while the comp is on? (I tried it with my old gigabyte mobo and it was hotswappble)
Yes, you have to set the port as eSATA in the BIOS.

You math is incorrect, it is 60mb/sec theoretical speed. Just because the speedometer goes to 200 doesn't mean the car can actually do it ;)

Yes, you have to set the port as eSATA in the BIOS.

What? There is no option like that in the BIOS.....

i'll bench my external in a minute here, just doing some maintainence on it ;)

btw, its a 100 gig Seagate spinpoint i think its 5200 RPM if not slower. and ide

edit : momentus 4200.2 ;)

Back