• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I get back my Sys Information menu after crash??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OCdragon

I had a system crash yesterday and after that I could'nt open System Information under System Tool in the Accessories menu! It has been "linked" opening to another Help Menu whenever I wanted to activate the System Information after the crash.
How do I activate System Information under the Run menu or similar please?? The rest of the system are perfectly O.K. though!

Thanks

Which OS are you running, and what happens when you type msinfo32 in the Run box? Assuming you're running XP, the inability to open the System Information tool is usually attributed to a missing index.dat file in the following directory...

C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\OfflineCache

I've uploaded a copy of the index.dat file from the above directory on an XP system. Copy the file to the above directory, the try running msinfo32 again from the Run box.

Attachments

• System Information.zip
    7.2 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Which OS are you running, and what happens when you type msinfo32 in the Run box? Assuming you're running XP, the inability to open the System Information tool is usually attributed to a missing index.dat file in the following directory...

Unfortunately it still did not work but displaying the annoying "Help and Support Centre" Menu instead when I typed in "MSinfo32" in my RUN menu! I even checked my System Information properties as you described and all my path for this command are CORRECT too.
I'm yet to try out the possible Index file curruption as you suggested next. Thanks

Hi Redduc90,

I followed your advice and checked my problemic PC for path: C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\OfflineCache, which I found out I only had an 85 bytes of Index.dat file, wheres most of the working PCs do have an 85Kbyes Index.dat files respectively instead.

I replaced it with the working Index.dat file and Bingo, I could now open my System Information menu and apparently there is no ill effects on other menus I found.
Many thanks once again!

Back