• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

q6600 @ 3ghz stock HSF?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dimebolt

Registered
Im still getting the last 2 pieces for my build and im over my budget lol, but anyways is it safe to push a q6600 G0 to 3ghz on stock intel HSF?

q6600 G0 (from microcenter)
abit ip35-e
g.skill 2gb (2x1gb)

Im still getting the last 2 pieces for my build and im over my budget lol, but anyways is it safe to push a q6600 G0 to 3ghz on stock intel HSF?

q6600 G0 (from microcenter)
abit ip35-e
g.skill 2gb (2x1gb)

I myself wouldn't. You would have to see what your temps are like but my guess is it wouldn't handle it. I have another build using an E6600, overclocked to 3.0GHz using the stock HSF and it's fine, but that's not a Quad.

I did it for a little while, waiting on the rest of my water cooling parts to arrive. 3ghz was about the max I could go before temps at full load was getting too high for my comfort level. Since I'm a F@H folder, my rigs all run at full load 24/7, and with the stock cooler temps were hitting close to 70c. But if you leave the side panel off and place a small house fan aimed directly at the cooler, it will drop the temps close to 10 degrees celcius. So that's how I ran it till I got the rest of my parts and placed it under a w/c block. The most inefficient part of the stock coolers is the fan. without a shroud around it, it really doesn't move hardly any air, and it's a low rpm fan to boot. But definitely make sure you've disable quiet fan control in the bios so that the fan will at least run at 100%. :)

Back