• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prolonging DLP lamp life

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

benbaked

Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member
I've read people suggesting on forums to lower the brightness and contrast settings of one's DLP TV to prolong lamp life. The FAQ for my TV contradicts this on the Samsung website, they say lowering brightness levels won't prolong lamp life.

So, ahem, what is the real deal fellow DLP owners? Thanks. :beer:

well the lamp of a DLP is the ultimate light source, lowering the brightness therefor not running as much voltage through the lap would in theory make the lamp last longer... But the difference isnt much i dont think, ur looking at replacing the lamp on regular intervals no matter what brightness.

Hmm, I turned the brightness and contrast down to the lowest levels and the reflection of the lamp in my window didn't dim at all. I guess that answers my question. :beer:

Well i'm pretty sure LCD Rear Projection + DLPs use the same lamp.

My rear projection lamp died off a few days ago, only lasted about 2 years, they generally have a 4000h/MTBF.

and they can be expensive, a sony one for my tv is 400$....

in some cases its benificial to buy a warranty for these things, a friend of mine bought a huge projection tv and bought the warranty, he says if the bulb doesent go out before the warranty expires its going to have some "help"

Back