• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap (<$50) Reliable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Omsion

Ok, so we all know cheap + reliable don't really go hand in hand, but...now that I've determined my Antec Smartpower does not play nice with the DFI RS482 that I am moving my old parts over to, I need a new PSU.

Opty 165 + 7600GT + 1 HD should not draw over 300W ever (probably not even over 200W), so something in that range is good.

I can go for the Corsair VX450 for $50, but want to go lower on price. So...what low-wattage cheap PSUs that can supply what they claim are around?
The Seasonics are good (so are the Antec Earthwatts et al), but have a premium attached, unfortunently. Since this is essentially a move parts over, I really don't want to spend that much.

EDIT: FSP Group has a good reputation, iirc - how are their low ends? Looking at this
EDIT2: And how about hec?

Last edited:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151055 OOS at the moment less than 50 bux for a seasonic though, 350 version is in stock for 49.80+ certified will save you some in the long run compared to the 70% on the fsp and 3yr warr vs. 1
earthwatts 430 is about 50 with the current sale

the seasonics and eartwatts have active pfc IIRC

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104031 this one looks better than the first FSP, and has active PFC and decent efficiency for not much more money, and less than seasonic or ew
still only 1 yr on low-end fsp supplies though

Thats about as far as I have time to dig right now

Jeff

edit: thats silverstone looks decent too

Any thoughts on the Thermaltake TR2?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153023

It is widely used, if the reviews are any indication, but of course, we take the content of Newegg reviews with some grain of salt.

The silverstone looks good, as does the OOS seasonic. I'll continue to look, of course :p

EDIT: Antec Basiq 350W?
http://www.buy.com/prod/antec-basiq-bp350-atx-12v-v2-01-power-supply-350-w/q/loc/101/202902531.html
The Basiqs (FSP made, apparently), according to the [H] roundup, appear to be reasonable for anything that doesn't push them up to 100%. I think I'll be going with this one. Anyone want to stop me? :p

Last edited:
on the thermaltake without digging into what that thing actually is inside "Efficiency > = 65%" sucks

Jeff

Seems I crossedited. Now about that Antec Basiq (same platform as the Bluestorm II, with some component downgrades)? :p

I have the "vanilla" FSP version of this PSU, and it holds true to its 400W claim. It has easily handled my OC'd system with very little to no fluctuations on the voltage lines. It is also adjustable, but I have not touched the POTs.

I got my FSP at a store called Central Computers in the Bay Area; They had it for $35.00, but since jacked up the price to $40ish.

Bryan d

So down to the FSP suggested by vt420 (~40 after shipping) or the Antec Basiq ($25 after google checkout - although buy.com's shipping...can be slow - took 1.5 weeks for my last order to arrive, so make that ~35 for actual normal shipping).

Hmm...choices choices. I'll go with the FSP.

Damn cheap PSUs being harder to choose then the good ones (doesn't help that the only reviews of them are of the ones that get blown up :p - although that does show the state of things at the low end).

Ok, so we all know cheap + reliable don't really go hand in hand, but...now that I've determined my Antec Smartpower does not play nice with the DFI RS482 that I am moving my old parts over to, I need a new PSU.

Opty 165 + 7600GT + 1 HD should not draw over 300W ever (probably not even over 200W), so something in that range is good.

I can go for the Corsair VX450 for $50, but want to go lower on price. So...what low-wattage cheap PSUs that can supply what they claim are around?
The Seasonics are good (so are the Antec Earthwatts et al), but have a premium attached, unfortunently. Since this is essentially a move parts over, I really don't want to spend that much.

EDIT: FSP Group has a good reputation, iirc - how are their low ends? Looking at this
EDIT2: And how about hec?

Omsion,

You can get a Corsair 450VX for $50 with free shipping and you want to spend less?? That Corsair is the best in its class and a steal at that price. It's a top of the line Seasonic build. By the time you buy that Fortron and pay shipping you're about $15-$16 difference. Not even close for the difference in quality.

Last edited:
Omsion,

You can get a Corsair 450VX for $50 with free shipping and you want to spend less?? That Corsair is the best in its class and a steal at that price. It's a top of the line Seasonic build. By the time you buy that Fortron and pay shipping you're about $15-$16 difference. Not even close for the difference in quality.
I understand that - however, another consideration is how fast I can get it - I have experiance with buy.com's free shipping, and if I need that PSU before the end of this week (so I can build and fly out with it, so my parents will be least inconvinenced), buy.com won't get it here in time with their budget "let's wait 5 days before shipping" - and the price is suddenly $20-25 cheaper.

This is also why i eliminated the Basiq, as with free shipping, it's even cheaper and of a similar quality as the FSP unit - but won't get here in time with free budget shipping.

Otherwise, I would agree with your assessment - I really would have prefered the VX450, though :-/

Back