• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

advise on GPU driver

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oakfn

Registered
Have a BFG Geforce 7800GS OC 256MB wondering is there better drivers than at nvidia site? Seen some at Guru3d and NGOHQ.play vanguard once in awhile when i open my map or quest windows if u look at photo some items in bags have lines on them, well my whole window looks like that when i popup quest map,abilites and not all the time just random.checked CPU and GPU not overheating,maybe power supply? nvidia recommends a 400W system power supply (with 12V current rating of 20A or more

heres mine

http://www.colordrives.com/-allied-...n-low-noise-power-supply-with-emi-filter.html

Thanks for any help

It might be a driver problem, but i'm waging on your PSU.

I'm gonna be straight with you... That PSU is not worth more than 1$ it really is junk, I suggest replacing it ASAP (with a quality unit)

I agree with the above suggestions to get a better power supply, however I don't think that's your problem. Artifacting like what you're describing is usually a driver related issue or a heat related issue causing the video card to artifact. Is the video card overclocked at all? Is this occuring only in Vanguard or many different games? Do you have all the latest patches/updates for Vanguard?

ya artifacting thats the word i was looking for:) ya its a factory 7800GS OC 256mb it comes new overclocked vanguard all patched had a x1600pro 512mb before had no problems just was a bottleneck for vanguard,have latest driver from nvida site googled drivers found 2 one at Guru3d and NGOHQ
thinking about trying one of those.Cpu runs when playing top temp is 30c GPU about 40c

Oakfn
heres screenshot not vanguard but kinda doing the same thing just not this bad

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/7636/abvp8.jpg

ya artifacting thats the word i was looking for:) ya its a factory 7800GS OC 256mb it comes new overclocked vanguard all patched had a x1600pro 512mb before had no problems just was a bottleneck for vanguard,have latest driver from nvida site googled drivers found 2 one at Guru3d and NGOHQ
thinking about trying one of those

Oakfn

Usually, the latest drivers from the manufacturer, in this case Nvidia, should be sufficient. Make sure you're using the drivers from the Nvidia site as Guru3d often has lots of beta drivers which may only make the issue worse or cause new issues.

I have to wonder how good the airflow is in your case. It's possible the card may be running a bit hot causing the memory to artifact. You might try a few things, first take the case door off and see if the that fixes the problem since you'll be letting some of the heat out of the case. If that doesn't work, try installing any number of overclocking programs and try to lower the clock speed of the memory and see if that helps. If either of these suggestions work, you need better airflow in your case to keep the temps down.

If that doesn't work, try doing a full removable of your Nvidia drivers, using the program listed below. Afterwards, install the latest official drivers from Nvidia and see if that helps.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

thanks for your help think going to reinstall, when i go to nvidia theres so many choices dont want to download wrong one you have link to right driver BFG 7800GS OC 256mb AGP with xp home

thank you

think i got it
NVIDIA Driver Downloads
ForceWare Release 169 WHQL
Version: 169.21
Release Date: December 19, 2007
Operating System: Windows XP, Windows XP Media Center Edition
Language: U.S. English
File Size: 43.8 MB

well reloaded drivers still artifacting but think i had game settings to high put to performance ok so far might b to CPU only a AMD 3000+ 1.8

www.nvidia.com

Drivers & Downloads

Select OS, card Series -> Download.

CPU won't ever cause screen errors. Is this the ONLY game you get these artifacts, or any of your games? If it's the only one, then it's not the card, but the game itself.

well reloaded drivers still artifacting but think i had game settings to high put to performance ok so far might b to CPU only a AMD 3000+ 1.8

Game settings won't have anything to do with it, neither will your CPU. Please follow my advice above or I can't help you. You have to troubleshoot in a logical order. Based on your problem, I've given you a few easy steps to help determine the issue.

www.nvidia.com

Drivers & Downloads

Select OS, card Series -> Download.

CPU won't ever cause screen errors. Is this the ONLY game you get these artifacts, or any of your games? If it's the only one, then it's not the card, but the game itself.

Not necessarily, you can overclock video memory to the point where it will slightly artifact in games but not in Windows, especially if it's a heat issue.

Not necessarily, you can overclock video memory to the point where it will slightly artifact in games but not in Windows, especially if it's a heat issue.

I didn't mean that, I meant that if he plays other games, and that if it's only THAT game getting errors... well then we can assume it's the game.

I didn't mean that, I meant that if he plays other games, and that if it's only THAT game getting errors... well then we can assume it's the game.

Oh yea, I concur, but he never answered my question earlier about that.

I was having lock-ups with games & 3d'06 with the 169.2X drivers. Uninstalled and reinstalled the 163.75's and evrything is golden.

You would think updating to the latest drivers will fix issues, instead it creates more. Go figure :rolleyes:

sorry played Everquest II and Warcraft and Vanguard with X1600PRO AGP 512MB no problems at all.just got the Geforce 7800GS OC installed now artifacting in Vanguard,think i need to replace my cheap $#@ power supply:)

thanks for all the feedback

hi been searching trying to find standard core bus and memory bus
for my card at 400mhz core bus and 625mhz memory bus now

thanks

Last edited:
Back