• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Embarassment of riches..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

Well, I managed to mess myself up yet again. This morning I placed an order for the parts for a server/folding rig at home. Nothing to fancy, but a Q6600 included. Well, later in the day I see the X3350s are out. So I can't resist and I place an order for that. Well, that leaves me with one too many CPUs. :bang head I've already spent a boatload, so I really can't afford to get too much more stuff. So, I guess I'll sell one of my CPUs. But I can't decide which one.

I've got a Q6600 that I've had for a while in my main computer. It is in an Asus P5E. I haven't been able to get more than 3.6ghz, but I just upgraded the RAM, and a few other things, so it might do better. This is the computer that is going to be getting the X3350.

I've got a E3110 in my work computer. It got up to 4.05Ghz before my Crucial RAM started degrading. Might be able to go higher. Using it to get some SMP folding in while I'm working. I can't use the 2x VM with a Quad trick on it because it won't play nice with the work network using a domain.
A Q6600 should still probably give me better output.

I'm going to be upgrading my roomies computer. It is currently an AMD Opteron system, so either an E3110, or a Q6600 would be a big step up. I also fold on this computer, but I'm not sure how much longer I can do that (she just got engaged to somebody living halfway across the country).

The server/folding computer is definately getting a Q6600, no problem with VMware on that machine.

I just got a Q6600 today from the Classifieds and the PCB lists it as 0A0704, which according to the E3110 overclocking thread, might be a really good clocker. Tempted to put this in the home server box.

So, if you've waded through all this, the CPUs I've got are

Q6600 (makes 3.6Ghz under water)
Q6600 (0A0704 (close to 00 on the last 2 numbers, might be good)
Q6600 (in transit from Newegg)
X3110 (Can do 4.05Ghz)
X3350 (ordered, but not yet in transit)

Computers are

P5E home rig, (will get X3350) W/C
IP35-E Home server, A/C
IP35-E Work computer, A/C
IP35-E Roomies computer, A/C

Which of the remaining computers should get which CPUs, and which one should I wind up getting rid of?

Sorry about being so bad a decision making. :bang head

well if the main thing all these computers do is folding... lose the duals for quads for sure and sell the dualies..

I dont get it - whats with the 'folding'. Can someone explain that real quick to me?

How are all those IP35-E's treating you? I have one on the way from Newegg myself, and would love to hear any problems you've had.

the only real problem that i have heard from peopel and happen my self. is the double boot issue, though the new bios that abit released is suppose to fix that. havent updated the bios yet so im not sure if they did indeed fix it. i would know from others on abit forums but havent been there in a while to see whats going on.

My IP35-e doe that too, but its only when you make certain changes in the bios. Not a real issue as far as I'm concerned, it's a great board, especially for the money. To the OP, I'd keep two Q6600's and each of the other two and sell off one Q6600. More to play with that way.

*Edit* Da#$ it, Acid beat me as I was typing ><

Mine (Rev. 15) only double-boots once after I have cleared the CMOS. After that it's fine.

And personally, I'd keep the quads and sell the duals. This E8400 is great but for DC I'm kinda wishing I had spent the extra few $$ for two more cores.

How are all those IP35-E's treating you? I have one on the way from Newegg myself, and would love to hear any problems you've had.

I only have one up and running right now, but I must say they are good value for the money. They are back on rebate again at the Egg.

the only real problem that i have heard from peopel and happen my self. is the double boot issue, though the new bios that abit released is suppose to fix that. havent updated the bios yet so im not sure if they did indeed fix it. i would know from others on abit forums but havent been there in a while to see whats going on.

Yeah, I get the double boot a lot too, but I just thought it was part of the POST after chaning settings. A bit heart-lurching the first time it happens, but after that, it doesn't seem to bother anything.

Looks like keeping all the quads is running ahead.

Back