• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rate my build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'd consider using two 8800GTS 512s instead of those GTXs (unless you're looking towards tri SLI in the future). You're also better off with a single 74 or 150GB WD Raptor, as most onboard Raid solutions won't show any realtime benefit unless transferring large files (they're CPU limited). I don't recommend that PSU, Corsair, PC Power and cooling, Thermaltake and Enermax are all of much higher quality. Do NOT Skimp on your PSU, especially with the given hardware. I'd look into the Antec-900, P182 and CoolerMaster RC-690 as other case options (amongst many). Lastly, consider using a Zalman 9700Led or any of the larger Thermalright cooling options for your cpu.

I am not a fan of them. if you do go with the GPU's(I vote for GTS's) oi would suggest a Corsair 750.

I would also go with 4GB of ram. Either another set of what you suggeted would work or a 2X2GB, set I like the GSkills.

That cooler is not going to handle high end OCing. Look at a tuniq or thermalright ultima 90 or 120 extreme.

I woud also change the HD's. Either look at a larger HD as suggested above or another set altogether. I think the best price to performance right now is the 500GB Seagate 7200.11's Put them in RAID and you will get close to the same performance as the raptors with less heat and noise. Plus the capacity is a little small for the size of todays OS's and programs.

That PSU will work great, it's actually one that I highly recommend. A Corsair 750 should also be able to do the trick and is an excellent PSU as well. 4GB of ram is a good recommendation, just remember to couple that with a 64bit os (I personally prefer corsair). Again with the raid, unless transferring large files or opening larger programs, you really won't notice a difference, that seagat drive or a WD equivelant will work great. If you're interested in a larger raptor and are concerned about noise then i recommend a Logisys Drive enclosure. I second the cooling options Ou listed above.

Dmak, what resolution do you (or want to) play games at?

I'm currently running 1600x1200 on a 20" (non wide screen) dell. My FPS on COD 4 Sucks. Running about 50-60ish. But that is a POS Dell with a 7900 GT KO. I've been wanting to build something on my own for a while now. Just now I have the $ to do just that. So anyway, I want high FPS and nice eye candy also.

I'm currently running 1600x1200 on a 20" (non wide screen) dell. My FPS on COD 4 Sucks. Running about 50-60ish. But that is a POS Dell with a 7900 GT KO. I've been wanting to build something on my own for a while now. Just now I have the $ to do just that. So anyway, I want high FPS and nice eye candy also.

This is why I will never be considered a hardcore gamer. I could never tell the difference between 60FPS and 90.

This is why I will never be considered a hardcore gamer. I could never tell the difference between 60FPS and 90.

At one point I didn't know the difference either. I would be a lot cheaper if I still didn't. LOL I'm still learning on all this PC stuff. Amazing what you can learn when work is slow. :)

As far as the CPU heatsink goes. I have read that people have clocked the E8400 to 4.2 with a zalman 9700. Would something like a thermalright ultima 90 make that much of a difference as far as how high I could clock it?

What games are you reffering to? Try getting 50-60fps in Crisis, on high settings, thats well beyond any user end system capabilities at the moment. For most games, 30fps is all that is needed for smooth consistant gameplay (you normally can expect 5-10fps in game fluctuations depending on the surrounding environment. 50-60 fps produces a picture refresh rate beyond human ability to notice improvements. For comparison, movies are run at 24 fps. If you're getting 50fps in Counter-Strike Source for example, then his system may have trouble with newer/higher end games. Depending on the game, 50-60fps is very high end. (There are very few "modern" games where over 100 fps is easily acheivable).

~draw FPS up on your game it will turn red at or below 60.

I assure you that any game programmer would prefer their game at or above 60fps to maximize any possible game-play experience. But the fps meter going red at 60fps makes very little real world sense. Again, your anticipated frame rates are highly dependant on the games that you play.

You are correct. Games like Crisis 60 FPS would be killer. I mostly play Call of Duty 4 and Company of Heroes. I mostly run near 50 FPS in COD and as of my last check with turning the settings down on COH I get around 44 FPS. I lag bad in COH I think mostly because of processor. I'm currently running a Pentium D 820. :bang head This is the main reason it's time for me to upgrade. I'm playing these games on a stock Dell computer with a 7900 gt ko that a friend sold to me for goodness sake!

Make sure that Reaper ram fits with the heatsink... The Ultima 90 is a better hs though, along with the Extreme 120... :)

I never have and probably never will buy a thermaltake psu..... Corsair, OCZ, PC Power & Cooling and several others are better.

Drop the PhysX card and use that money to get a 790i motherboard instead of the 780i board.... :)

I think there's a better thermal paste.. the MX-2 (?) - better than AS5 and non-conductive.... Might want to check out this option better though to get better info on it, as I remember people talking about this before...not sure if they still have same opinion (check cooling section out).

So much cash to blow....

As for those Reapers, I would do some research and get some cheaper rams with also Micron D9s on em

Maybe 4GB worth instead of paying double for only 2GB

And I would go with TombKeeper's idea of getting a 790i instead, coz a 780i is just a revambed 680i

Back