• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My new build {many pics coming so 56k beware!}

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Th3 F4ll3n P1mp

Disabled
I just got some of my pc parts by mail, and im expecting the rest for monday. Ill post pics of what I got in 10 minutes when my mom comes home with the camera. So far I have a 780i a Q6700, and 4 gigs of tracers ddr2 800.
Ill be buying the rest of what is in my sig today, or I have already ordered them.

Dont you mean the 3x GTX? Once again, I returned those, they were temp out of stock, and I saw the benches vs a GTS, and I saw its a waste of 100 bucks per card, so I decided to get GTS's instead.

Good luck with the build. Are you going to do an internal water set-up are external? Is the GPU going to be under water as well? Also what OS are you going with?

Personally I want to see some hard drive benches. Do us a favor and drop by the storage section with some benches when you get it together.

Well, im gonna start out with only a cpu loop, then I might add it to the gpu, or if possible, a second water kit for the video cards, or just one of those air coolers for the cards with the big heatsink. I think im gonna get raptors instead, one for now, and ill add one or two later on. Idk what OS im gonna get. Maybe winblows vista ultimate or gentoo if someone can help me...

How big should it be? And does gentoo support raid 0? I wanted to get 2 or 3 raptors in raid 0.
Doesn't really matter, it would fit on a 10gb drive with no issues. I've heard problems with linux and RAID, I won't attempt it :shrug:

Make it as simple as possible FIRST until you get it down, then add the hard stuff ;)

Doesn't really matter, it would fit on a 10gb drive with no issues. I've heard problems with linux and RAID, I won't attempt it :shrug:

Make it as simple as possible FIRST until you get it down, then add the hard stuff ;)

Damn. I wanted to get 4 raptors in raid later on, so I dont want to waste a spot. I think ill stick with winblows then.

Damn. I wanted to get 4 raptors in raid later on, so I dont want to waste a spot. I think ill stick with winblows then.

That seems a little overkill. I could see possibly as an all out benching machine but one a day to day basis the heat and noise would seem to outweigh whatever benefit the third and fourth drives would. Heck for the close to $800 they would cost I would play around with a solid state drive.

As a personal favor could you please stop saying windblows, it is a little immature, I think were are all able to make our own conclusions on the quality of the software.

That seems a little overkill. I could see possibly as an all out benching machine but one a day to day basis the heat and noise would seem to outweigh whatever benefit the third and fourth drives would. Heck for the close to $800 they would cost I would play around with a solid state drive.

As a personal favor could you please stop saying windblows, it is a little immature, I think were are all able to make our own conclusions on the quality of the software.

Ok, ill stop saying winblows. And raptors aint near 200 bucks each so that aint 800 bucks for 4. Btw, im only buying one at a time whenever I need extra room on my hard drive. I dont really care for the noise, I always have music running on max sound, so I can hear anything.

Ok, ill stop saying winblows. And raptors aint near 200 bucks each so that aint 800 bucks for 4. Btw, im only buying one at a time whenever I need extra room on my hard drive. I dont really care for the noise, I always have music running on max sound, so I can hear anything.

Ok $175 for a retail from the egg so it would be $700, I was off by $100. I wasn't trying to be argumentative just giving another perspective. Just don't forget to have sufficient HD's for backups. With four drives in a RAID0 that will lead to a fairly large chance of failure or corruption of the array. Even with enterprise class drives they still fail.

Ok $175 for a retail from the egg so it would be $700, I was off by $100. I wasn't trying to be argumentative just giving another perspective. Just don't forget to have sufficient HD's for backups. With four drives in a RAID0 that will lead to a fairly large chance of failure or corruption of the array. Even with enterprise class drives they still fail.

4 drives isnt guarateed yet, for now im sticking with one or two, and yes, I have backup ocd, so thats no big deal.

Cuz I want everything to be fast, and I can afford 2 or 3 raptors, I am under budget, so if I can get some hdd performance, ill take it, because im always bottlenecked by my hard drive.

Back