• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will quad help in this situation?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC101

When I play CS1.6 (yeah it's old, not much stress on the hardware), AVG scheduled virus scan started on its own. For the most part, it was ok, but I still felt a little laggy sometimes. I still have to turn the virus scan off to play normally. And I am on a dual core.

Will quad core make me not even notice the virus scan running in the background?

Good question..im sure if you set the affinity your background apps to one core and your game to another core, then it would help. Depending on how fast the dual core is, you can do the same on the one you have now.

Well, it would likely offload any issues with slowdowns due to the CPU being taxed. But a virus scan also heavily taxes the harddrive. So anytime CS had to read/write to or from the drive, it would have taken longer and created a slowdown. I would assume a virus scan also uses some RAM. it's possible that a slowdown could occur if it's taking up more RAM that is free and thus taking some away from the CS.

IMO it's the Io what slows the rig down, put a cd in the drive which has dirty surface and you can witness a quad come to stadnstill, same is happening when you run the virus scan just less noticeable because the hdd is much faster.

Exactly, you could have 8 cores and you'd still experience some slow downs because it's all being pushed through the same hard drive.

So to answer your question, no quad would not help in your situation, a low end dual would run CS1.6 + scan the same.

Back