• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X38 boards - 4x1GB or 2x2GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mdamda

Hey all.

Recently built the PC in my sig.

Im looking to upgrade to 4GB and quadcore in a while, but I hear a lot of problems regarding overclocking with 4x1GB setup.

This board being finicky with RAM, I'm happy with what I have and would really like to just drop in another 2x1GB.

With RAM not really getting any cheaper, I plan to get that 4GB sooner that before I get the quad.

I did read somewhere (I forgot, sorry) however that these X38 boards can do 4x1GB and still overclock normally without reaching a RAM-induced FSB wall sooner.

Just trying to make sure here. Anybody got info on this? :beer:

Added: How much harder is it to OC 4x1 than it is 2x2GB?

Last edited:
Anyone? I'm not really concerned with holding tighter timings at 4x1GB than what this RAM is advertised at doing - just CPU OC. :)

It seems it is like most parts of OCing and that luck plays a big role. I have had no trouble but others have with the same set-up. All things being equal I would go with 2x2GB. I went the way I did because I already had 2GB and then later decided to go with 4GB.

Back