• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which processor to get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
First you gotta ask yourself if you need a quad core or not. If you do video encoding, folding, or highly parallel tasks then go with a quad. If not the dual core is best for your. Knowing this if you do decide quadcore is for you definitely go with the black edition with unlocked multiplier since it is only an extra $10.

Are you set on AMD CPUs only or tied because of your mobo? Intel has better offerings right now especially with a Q6600 which is faster clock for clock and also clocked higher. Furthermore it will drop to around $200 on April 20th.

Last edited:
If you want AMD, am a gamer, and are on a budget, get the 5000 black.

Agreed, if you are a gamer as long as you dont plan to keep your cpu for a ridiculous 5 years then I would go dual. Are you planning to overclock or not? If you are not planning to overclock just look for the best bang for the buck be it AMD or Intel. However if you will overclock then look into Intel E8400 or X3110 which is within the low $200 budget which you seem to be looking at.

example: http://www.priceguidenetwork.com/co...e3110-300ghz-fsb1333mhz-6m-lga775-retail.html

They can overclock typically to 4GHz and almost nothing beats them right now.

Agreed, if you are a gamer as long as you dont plan to keep your cpu for a ridiculous 5 years then I would go dual. Are you planning to overclock or not? If you are not planning to overclock just look for the best bang for the buck be it AMD or Intel. However if you will overclock then look into Intel E8400 or X3110 which is within the low $200 budget which you seem to be looking at.

example: http://www.priceguidenetwork.com/co...e3110-300ghz-fsb1333mhz-6m-lga775-retail.html

They can overclock typically to 4GHz and almost nothing beats them right now.
I don't need to overclock. I am a gamer. I need to have this processor for a long time. (4-5 yrs? [My P4 2.4 lasted 5 good years]) So, that XEON beats my AMD choices and is better?

I don't need to overclock. I am a gamer. I need to have this processor for a long time. (4-5 yrs? [My P4 2.4 lasted 5 good years]) So, that XEON beats my AMD choices and is better?

Normal overclocking won't reduce your computer's life time, and gamers overclock to obtain those free extra FPS, I don't know why'd you make that statement.

Normal overclocking won't reduce your computer's life time, and gamers overclock to obtain those free extra FPS, I don't know why'd you make that statement.
Yea, but... I don't REALLY need to overclock. :p I've never overclocked anything before and kept it that way. It's been going smooth. :D

Yea, but... I don't REALLY need to overclock. :p I've never overclocked anything before and kept it that way. It's been going smooth. :D

Ok, then it all amounts to

A) How much you willing to spend or if you're on a budget
B ) Keeping the pc for over 3+ years
C) Preference (intel or AMD)

I game alot. I also do some video encoding. I had an AMD for a couple of years, but realized that my trusty 939 platform was at the end of it's upgrade path. After careful research I decided the best upgrade path for my needs within my budget was a Dual Core Intel. Tho I really liked my AMD and it's reliability/cost, the new AMD's did not offer me anything better over the current AMD I had. This helped me in my decision. Another thing I looked at was Quad core VS Dual Core. Again, for my particular needs Quad Cores was a waste, so a Dual Core was my final choice. I just setup up the new rig ( mobo, cpu and ram) in my sig and i don't regret it one bit. I overclock, but then that's me. You don't need to overclock, but knowing that option is there for you is a plus, to squeeze that last bit of performance and get the most out of the money you spent.

My new rig is fast as hell and well within my budget. Once there's more need for Quad Cores, then I'll upgrade, but for now my new setup is more than enough :)

Hope this helps in your decision.

A. $200 max
B. 3+ years, yeah.
C. Intel or AMD will do.

I'm going to use this mostly for gaming. I've heard the Q6600 was really good.

A. $200 max
B. 3+ years, yeah.
C. Intel or AMD will do.

I'm going to use this mostly for gaming. I've heard the Q6600 was really good.

Well if you already have the AM2 board, then I'd go for #1 choice if you want Quad. Both #1 & #2 are Quad, but #2 is a bit more expensive since it's the blackboxed.

The 3rd one on the list is DualCore, so, of course much cheaper.

So it boils down like this from the choices given: If your budget is $200 and you want Quad, then go for #1. Be advised there's no game out there that will utilize all 4 cores. Unless you're going to do be running 4 progs, plus game, plus burn CD's/DVD's, then you might see the benefit of the Quad.

If you want to save more money, and all you do is game, with burning a CD/DVD once in a while, then go with choice #3 and forget the Quads in choices #1&2.

Pretty much cut and dry here.

With all due respect, Satsumomo, I think this is a misleading statement. Anything that adds heat and or voltage to a processor can reduce the lifespan of the product. Yes, I've OC'd for years without any disasters too, but there are no guarantees. Overclocking involves risk. It's as simple as that.

I'm not clear on what your current setup is. It sounds like whatever you get you'll need a new motherboard. If you are not overclocking, then the AM2 mobo's are a good deal coupled with a dual core CPU. I don't think that longevity is an issue for any CPU's, particularly if you don't OC.

Good luck with whatever you get.

Cheers! :beer:

Back