• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AWW CRAP! Ok anyone got any good deals on 5.1 receivers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adragontattoo

Trailer Chasing Senior
just found out that my trusty Yamaha has blown the R front channel :cry::bang head do I need to replace it.

Anyone know of any good deals on receivers?

I prefer an actual receiver and not a HTIB AIO type deal.

Doesnt need to be ultra high end,refurbs are just fine with me, and doesnt need HDMI (though I wouldnt complain).

a couple of ideas off the top of my head:

shoponkyo.com, usually the refurbed 5.1 reciever is around $100-110

buy.com sells a HTIB RCA RT2770 for around $80 that comes with a 5.1 reciever

The only other idea I'd have is to check circuit city in store.. they've been having a lot of nice clearance prices on recievers not shown online. Other than that, perhaps someone more familiar with 5.1 products can recommend something. I only have 7.1's. Good luck.

If you have a 5.1 you could downgrade to a 4.1... with a 7.1 you still have a 5.1. :p

All you have to do is switch around your channels.

If you have a 5.1 you could downgrade to a 4.1... with a 7.1 you still have a 5.1. :p

All you have to do is switch around your channels.

ehh if I am gonna get a 7.1 receiver, then I am going to USE 7.1...

I keep debating making my setup 5.2 (2 subs) but the neighbors on 3 sides would have a seizure when I watched a movie.

ehh if I am gonna get a 7.1 receiver, then I am going to USE 7.1...
I keep debating making my setup 5.2 (2 subs) but the neighbors on 3 sides would have a seizure when I watched a movie.

I'm just saying, if you still have good channels you can put them to use, I had a 5.1 amp blow out one channel once and all I did was disable that in my sound menu and remap so I still had a 4.1 in the end.

I went with the 7.1 refurb onkyo and Im quite pleased with it. Ive used onkyo receivers for years and years now, and they always sound great. Would love to get my hands on a harmon one day though...

nice, their site is back up, time to go hunting but that may be mine!

Which Yamaha receiver do you have? I bought a Yamaha YHT HTIB package for super cheap, and just use the Receiver, and DVD player.

HTR 5830, I am going to try to get it repaired if possible and either sell it to my father or migrate the Pioneer receiver elsewhere.

How did it blow?
Did you kill the actual speaker, or is the line simply dead (aka if you move the speaker to a different output, does it still work)? If it's the line, most likely you've only blew a fuse on that channel - so you can open up your receiver and look for a dead fuse to replace.

How did it blow?
Did you kill the actual speaker, or is the line simply dead (aka if you move the speaker to a different output, does it still work)? If it's the line, most likely you've only blew a fuse on that channel - so you can open up your receiver and look for a dead fuse to replace.
channel is dead.

Ill pop the top and see if I can find any issues.

All of my looking into dead amps have ever given me is an awesome scar, and a few awesome jolts

I haven't been able to fix them.

Back