• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Has anyone seen this little guy before?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sHape oF gReY

HERE

I wonder if it would work on an HTPC to allow recording of HBO/premium channels....

thinking about picking one up.

Maybe someone with some knowledge could glance over it see if it would work.

~cheers

Well there is information in the analog signal that tells other devices that it is copy righted. You could remove that information with this device

you want to run a program that removes DVD's digital copyright, and make a perfect 1:1 copy of dvd.

To copy a VHS->DVD, is hard and turns out bad. You really need a video capture card and not a TV Tuner card as shown. You only need this device if you are copying copy protected VHS, and if your video capture card pays attention to this. I betcha their is software out their that will tell your TV Tuner not to care if its copyrighted or not. I feel the amount of work it takes to copy VHS->DVD is USUALLY not worth it.

And I dont think there is any copyright protection on any cable channels, so that usage is out.

Hmm if there is no copy protection on cable, whats stopping people from recording premium channels? Unless I completely missed something, which is very well possible, at this time you cannot use HTPC to record premium channels (HBO, MAX, etc).

The reason I thought about using the above mentioned device is not to backup my DVDs, which I can already do with AnyDVD. I thought that it might be able to strip copy protection from the TV signal so one would be able to record premium channels.

I havent tried to record from premium channels, so I dont know... but yes if it is there, it should work... I dont know about that device in particular.

note however that many premium channels flatten the volumes of movies. You don't get the extreme booms and the low volume voices... They are all kinda the same volume, more less.

Back