• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is HT 3.0 needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Firestrider

I won't be using DDR3 or an IGP, so is HT 3.0 even needed?

The reason I ask this is because I was thinking about just getting a 9150e processor when they come out. These processors (so I've heard) don't support HT 3.0. I'm hoping it's going to be in the $150 range for a quad core processor.

Right now my LDT Bus (HT Link) is 800 mhz from 1000 mhz and it's not bottlenecking my RAM. HT 3.0 would change the default from 1000 mhz (in HT 2.0) to 1300 mhz, right? How high do you think I could get the LDT Bus with a 9150e?

HT 3.0 will be needed based on the cpu, as far as i know that is the link speed the cpu needs.

ram required will be mainly cpu based as they have a IMC, now i dont recall if DDR3 IMC can or has a DDR2 controller.

if indeed the cpu does not use/need HT 3.0 then you should be fine. i would wait to see in bios updates before buying a cpu though.

so lemme get this straight, AM2+ and AM3 will work in AM2 socket and work at AM2 speeds?

dose it work the other way arround? 2 and 2+ in a 3?

i thought the board had to have at least HT 3.0 to support the AM3 cpu in a AM2+ board. since the HT is the speed of the cpu is using.. like that of intels cpus with 800/1066/1333 fsb's.
then a board with HT2.0 may run a am2+/am3 cpu slower then spec.

The 9150 is a K10 so it'll still use HT 3.0. It will also be able to drop down to HT 2.0 like the other Phenoms.

Back