• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista & 1GB RAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhysX

I've never used vista with less than 2gb of RAM, how does Vista.. .any variation of it run with only 1GB of ram ?

I have a project I would like to do and the mobo I an going to use only supports a maximum of only 1GB.

You may find the motherboard will support more than a gig of RAM but Vista will run fine on 1gig with a few tweaks.
The biggest tweak you can do to Vista is to kill unnecessary services.
Go to: http://www.blackviper.com/ and check out the Windows Services guide.
The next thing you can do is only allow your anti-virus to start with Windows.
Kill anything else that wants to load with Windows.

Good luck!

I have a Pentium D, 3 GHz machine, with 1 GB of ram running vista and I've never ran out of memory. I mostly do DVD stuff and MP3 ripping on it. If you're not playing games or doing 3d modeling, you'll probably be ok.

Sounds great, yea the max the mobo supports is only 1gb, its a mini-itx mobo.

I had Vista running on my gateway before with only 1 gig of ram, and it set on average around 60%-65% usage, and most games (Crysis, COD4, NFS Prostreet) they all would pretty much max out the ram. I saw a considerable performance boost stepping up from 1 gig of 533mhz ram to 2 gigs of 667mhz ram.

I didn't go through and kill all the processes that didn't need to be though. The extra bit of ram made it seem more responsive and bootup/shutdown times were a bit quicker as well.

Thats my 2 cents though, may not be the same in every case.

It will slow especially when you add stuff, aim, antivirus, etc. Still it should be useable.

Back