• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WINDOWS xp sp3 tommorow. how bad will this be?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zatrix

Yes i know i posted this in the xp section but wanted to cover all my bases just incase people dont read that section maybe someone here will read it instead.

So as we all know sp3 is tommorow.

From the reviews everyone is saying this is going to make windows run alot better, faster dual core performance, etc etc.

Im very skeptical......

WHY would they make windows xp better than what it already is, seeing as vista is horrible but they want people to buy vista....

It makes no sense from a business standpoint.

"hey we want you to upgrade to this new product even though its completely inferior to the one you currently have. AND to top it all off we are making your current product even better!!! but we still want you to upgrade.

I would not be surprised if the beta versions were a decoy and sp3 will horribly effect our systems. or at the very least the installation for it is going to take hours and tons of errors etc etc.

anyone have any info?

How long should it take to upgrade to sp3 anyway normally atleast?

Windows XP SP3 is simply an update to add more Windows Keys. OEM's have been selling so many "downgraded" computers ( XP comps ) new, that they have run out of keys. They aren't doing anymore work on the kernel itself. It shouldn't take longer than 30 seconds and a reboot Check that, they are including all the previously released updates and fun things. I would wager it would be a pretty fast update if you are at SP2 ( as I would assume ). Here's where I went for info. I suppose we shall find out in the coming week.

why is there 2 of these threads?

vista is fine, xp is near perfect for a windows os we should thank them for continual updates and support.

vista is fine, xp is near perfect for a windows os we should thank them for continual updates and support.

Well said. Microsoft was supposed to have weened off of XP support by now. And a majority of Vista's alleged "problems" are false rumors based off of the initial lack of drivers for older hardware. Any OS will have it's quirks. As to SP3, you may or may not see a difference in performance as it mainly adresses specific fixes.

Watch the double posting. The powers-that-be frown.

This might be kinda off topic... I REMEMBER THAT MOVIE!!! I just got an instant flashback of Cast Away from your avatar :drool:

Anyways, SP3 gives me another reason I shouldn't get Vista yet.

There really aren't many benefits to upgrading from xp to vista. But there are plenty of reasons to install Vista as opposed to XP on a new system where you have to buy a new OS license anyhow.

I tried vista ultimate 32-bit on my sig and I liked it, but I wasnt getting the performance I wanted out of it, but I'm sure sometime soon I'll ending up just being assimilated :p

vista is fine, xp is near perfect for a windows os we should thank them for expect continual updates and support.

I think this is close to what we pay for. If they do a good job, then thanks are in order. Normal updating is not worthy of thank you. I expect it., matter of fact demand it. If it is in cycle, do not make the OS fall behind. Keep it current and with the times.

:D

Well said. Microsoft was supposed to have weened off of XP support by now. And a majority of Vista's alleged "problems" are false rumors based off of the initial lack of drivers for older hardware. Any OS will have it's quirks. As to SP3, you may or may not see a difference in performance as it mainly adresses specific fixes.

exactly

Also, they released service packs for Windows 2000 well after XP was out......

they cant just drop XP support, it was also extended to 2010 i recall.

FREAKIN SWEET... just in time for the reinstall of windows xp on my main rig thats long over due.... its been since august of 07.... lol.

BTW there is a windows xp section?

Back